Chapter 30-Martha

Light snowflakes and the melody to classic Christmas music filled the air as Lori and I walked through the outlet mall. Festivities were in full swing, people dressed up as Santa in front of every other store ringing a bell to receive donations for charity. The bushes surrounding nearby trees were trimmed to look like reindeer or presents wrapped in fairy lights. While every store had some type of wreath on their door.

We were dressed in our finest winter wear. Lori had thick black stockings on with a mid thigh grey wool skirt and ankle boots. She wore a light brown Pea Coat with a silver infinity scarf and a light brown beanie to match. She said her pixie hair cut doesn't allow her the warmth she would like on her head during these times. Due to my long hair all I needed was my ear muffs. I wore a Black Parka that had a silver faux fur lining. That was paired with my blue high waisted jeggings and black mid-calf boots.

Lori sighed next to me as we leisurely walked down a path, "Black Friday."

"Technically it's Black Saturday." I corrected.

She rolled her eyes, "Because we didn't go yesterday."

"And you know exactly why." Black Friday, the day to get into fights and be trampled over flat screen TVs that you already have. I never went shopping on Black Friday, instead I came out the day after because the sales would still be there.

My first two stops were GapKids and Old Navy, I was happy about finally finding the time to pick up some new outfits for Paige. It always amazed me how much she grew everyday and with that came a new wardrobe every now and then. Lori was holding onto my arm as she led us to the hot chocolate cart, bags in hand. She started the conversation after we ordered our hot chocolates. "So... we didn't get to talk much about Thanksgiving."

Right, the Thanksgiving from hell.

I handed the barista cash, "Yea I know, I've been meaning to ask you how that went."

She turned to me with a confused look as we moved to the side to wait for our order, "How what went?"

"Don't play dumb, you and Mason." I said, slightly nudging her with my elbow.

She shrugged as she spoke nonchalantly, "What's there to tell?"

"Oh come on, you and the rest of the hospital have been drooling over this man since he got there. Plus when I formally introduced you guys, you were blushing like crazy." I couldn't help but tease her.

When her eyes went wide I knew she was going into defense mode, "Hey don't put me in the same category as those groupies. I never drooled over him, I just admired his good looks. And I was not blushing, we were in the kitchen and it was pretty warm."

"I don't know, when I talked about you I saw how intrigued he was. It was as if he never heard of a woman like you before."

She chuckled as she voiced her current thoughts, "Maybe he just never heard of a woman as crazy as me before."

"That's true." I teased, she slapped my arm playfully and we both busted out chuckling.

"Martha." "Lori." The barista called our names letting us know that our hot chocolates were ready.

~~~~~~

We went through several stores before hitting HomeGoods. I was trying to find everyone the perfect gift. Luckily I ordered Lori's gift online weeks ago and it was hidden in the back of Paige's closet. My mother was easy, get her some anti-aging cream, expensive perfume and she'll get off your back till her birthday. The main person I was really struggling with was Ryan. I've known the man my whole life and after not speaking for two years I'm at a loss.