Chapter 32-Ryan

Lori called me, demanded we all hang out tonight, and that I pick a club I knew of because she wanted a better dance floor than the normal bars we go to. To say I was shocked was an understatement considering it felt as though Martha was avoiding me since Thanksgiving. I've been cursing myself ever since.

How could I have been so stupid?

I wasn't lying when I said Martha was beautiful. She was so close to me and her intoxicating scent of roses and vanilla was all I could smell as I breathed her in. When I felt her leaning in, part of me didn't want to waste the opportunity that presented itself. I told Mason, I didn't want to be that guy. The guy that's the reason for the marriage not working out. If it's not gonna work out between Martha and Jonathan then it has to be on her terms. Though the more and more I see her pulling away from him, I can't seem to control how my mind and body react to her.

Instead of a cab I offered to take my car tonight to drive the girls. As I pulled up to Martha's house they both came out wearing parkas. I couldn't see their outfits but I knew they were definitely short enough. Martha gave me a nervous smile as she entered the car.

"Ready?" I asked as I started the ignition. Martha hummed in response and Lori nodded through the rear view mirror. Driving to the club was going fine until Lori started arguing with me. I was about to lose it until I heard the woman beside me. The wonderful sound of Martha laughing came through my ears. I glanced over and saw her shaking her head, with a bright smile, looking out the window.

"Next time we go out you better give me the aux and not play that classic rock bullshit!" Lori exclaimed from the back seat. I had just parked in the lot and exited the car.

"Next time drive yourself!"

Lori slammed one of the back doors as she exited the car, "Maybe I will!"

I'm gonna kill her

When I looked up I saw Mason hopping out of a cab at the entrance of the parking lot. A smirk formed on my face as I turned back to Lori, "Or you could just ask Mason for a ride."

The confusion on her face slipped off as she looked at where my eyeline was. A small gasp left her lips as her eyes widened. She turned to look at me, "What is he doing here?"

"What are you talking about? Didn't I tell you, I invited him."

"No shit, why?"

"He's my best friend." I said in a 'duh' tone. Martha was already by Mason giving him a hug. He whispered something in her ear that made her laugh. Annoyance filled me as I knew exactly what he was doing. He was blatantly flirting with her because his eyes met mine and he had a smug look on his face. They smiled at each other as they pulled away and looked in my direction. I walked beside Lori and made my way over.

As if on instinct, I moved to be behind Martha and put my hand on her waist. I felt her body stiffen, until she relaxed into my hold. "Hey man." I said pressing my lips together.

Mason smiled bright. He knows he got under my skin.

Looking to the side of us, he did a double take as he noticed Lori standing there awkwardly. I decided to let that run its course and guided Martha to the club. When we didn't stand on the line, Martha continued to look back, "Ryan what the hell are you doing?"

"I thought you wanted to go to a club tonight."

"I do, that's what the line is for." She argued.

"Don't worry about it." We walked up to the bouncer. He was tall, bald, and his build made him look like he could be in the WWE. As a bouncer he had the 'don't fuck with me' look down pack. If you didn't know him you wouldn't have the courage to just walk right up to him. Thankfully that wasn't the case here, "Hey Joe!" The bouncer's scary exterior crumbled when he noticed me.

"Mr. Mendoza, good seeing you tonight, Welcome to Delirium Houzz." With that he unclipped the red rope. I made sure to keep Martha close to me. There were bodies everywhere and I saw a bunch of guys already staring her down. I had called ahead to a bartender I knew and reserved a V.I.P spot for us.

"Whoa, this feels like special treatment." Martha said as she looked around the area. "How did you swing this?"

Moving my shoulder up and down, I gave a small grin her way, "I know some people."

We all took our coats off and got comfortable. When I was comfortable in my seat, I looked up to see the girls still standing. Their outfits were on pure display for the world to see. Lori was wearing a tight red body con dress, with black heels and diamond necklace. Her hair was gelled down giving a very old school Halle Berry look. Mason almost choked on his own saliva when he saw her. Though the other one, that's who had my eye. Martha had a fuchsia satin mini dress, her hair was down, slightly curled and her makeup was done to perfection. The dress looked like a second piece of skin on her body and I suddenly felt like I couldn't breathe.

What the fuck is she wearing?

The hands at my side clenched my coat that I was still holding, keeping me from reaching out and touching her. She was looking at me and her mouth was moving.

Oh god is she talking to me?...Speak you idiot!

"Ryan!" she yelled over the music waving her hand in my face.

I raised my eyebrows finally looking in her eyes, "Huh?"

"I asked if you were okay."

"Oh um yea, I'm fine." I glanced around us and noticed Lori staring right at me stifling a laugh. Ignoring her I turned my gaze back to the woman in front of me. She was looking around not meeting my eyes, while her cheeks were slightly tinted a shade and I knew it wasn't the makeup.

"Hey girl, I want to dance!" Lori exclaimed, pulling on Martha's arm.

She giggled at her friend's excitement leaving towards the dance floor. "Okay alright!"