Chapter 6-Ryan

I care too damn much

I shouldn't be here. It was what I repeated to myself as I stood outside the house, but that didn't stop me from entering when this little angel invited me in. I couldn't say no, and once I confirmed that Jonathan was there making Martha flustered in the worst way possible, I definitely couldn't just leave her like that.

Paige was currently on the swing, with me pushing her.

"Higher! Higher Uncle Ryan!" she said giggling. It brought a small grin to my face.

As I chuckled with her, my gaze fell to the window of the kitchen. What looked like a mug went flying passed. Then a crash. What caught my attention next was a tea cup. Suddenly, I heard an even louder crash. I slowed down the swing, bringing Paige to a stop.

"What was that?" she looked up at me, her smile slowly fading as she looked toward the house.

Looking towards the house I knew what was happening, Martha was probably throwing things left and right. I told her I would be right outside if she needed anything. A part of me was a bit paranoid that Jonathan was doing all of that. Though I knew she would have come to me. 

But, Paige didn't need to know that.

"Nothing shorty." I looked around, trying to find a new way to distract her. As my eyes scanned the area, I noticed the slide that was on the other side of the yard.

"Come on, let's play on the slide over there." I pointed and Paige began running without question.

Another crash came from the house. Paige stopped in her tracks and turned to me. I knew she was a little worried because she didn't know what was happening.

"Nothing, something probably just fell in the kitchen. You know how clumsy your mama can be." I shrugged.

Putting my hand on her back I guided her to the slide. Paige climbed up and sat on the top pausing to go down. She adjusted herself slightly before holding onto the sides. I noticed her about to push off when she hesitated with furrowed brows. "What's wrong, don't you wanna slide down?"

She looked at me with worry, "Daddy hasn't been home, he's never home and Mama seems so sad. He came for breakfast, I thought that Mama would be happy but..." Paige's gaze cascading down, I was familiar with that look. It was helplessness.

"Hey," Her big piercing green shined up at me with a light sheen to them and her bottom lip was slightly trembling, "I'm sure everything is fine. They just have some grown up things to talk about."

I watched as she visibly swallowed her tears and became a bit confused, "What grown up things?"

"Things that shorties like you don't have to worry about."

"I don't?"

"Nope." I shook my head with confidence.

Her eyes darted to the house slightly before landing back on my face, "But what do I do when Mama and Daddy are so sad?"

I leaned down and gave her a big raspberry on her cheek that had her giggling, "Just be you."