Chapter 31-Ryan

"Liam, pass me the wrench." I called out from underneath the car. He passed it to me in an instant as I continued to work. The nuts and bolts I took off of this car were rusted so I had to apply new ones. A grunt left my mouth as I got them on the tightest that they could be. Sliding from underneath the car, I put my hand out and Liam helped me up. "Alright, lower the car and pop the hood for me."

Liam nodded and went to go do as instructed. Even though the kid was clueless when the rest of the guys in the shop would discuss car models and which ones were better, he was a fast learner. I appreciated someone who wanted to learn.

Wiping my hands down of the grease, papers landed on the tool box in front of me. I looked up to find a grinning Garrett staring back at me. "Those, them?" I asked with anticipation.

His grin turned into a big smile. "Yup, one final meeting with my Uncle and it's all yours."

"Yes!" I exclaimed, this was probably the happiest day of my life. It felt like some of the weight on my shoulders was finally lifted. Pulling Garrett aside from prying ears, we headed towards the office. "Liam, why don't you perform an oil change on the Mazda all the way at the end?"

Bright eyes shined wide at me, "Really?"

"Yea," I said with a shrug, "You've seen it done, plenty of times. Time to finally do one. Don't be afraid to ask one of the others for help if you need it. We'll finish on the Honda when I get back."

"Okay, thanks!" He said eagerly as he made his way to his first solo task.

Entering the office, Garrett sat behind the desk in his chair while I remained standing. The papers in my hands felt so surreal, everything I worked for was now literally within my fingertips. "Hey, make sure to take your time and read over it. I'd even have a contract lawyer read over that. Uncle Mateo would never screw you over but I want to make sure you know what you're getting into. You know with part of you turning corporate and all."

"Nah, definitely." A small grin played on my lips as I thought about how close I am to getting everything that I want.

"So what's up man? You want to celebrate tonight?" He asked.

Pulling my attention away from the papers, I looked up, "Oh no, I'm going on with the girls again."

"Lucky man, a lady on each arm." Garrett teased.

I shook my head with a slight chuckle, "It's not like that. I invited Mason, figured the guy could get out of his damn apartment and take a break from saving lives."

"What am I, chop liver?" He threw up his hands and looked at me in disbelief.

"Sorry, I didn't think you wanted to be a fifth wheel." I shrugged and sat down in one of the chairs in front of his desk.

"Fifth wheel?" When I realized what I said, all I could think about was shooting myself.

Why the fuck did I say that?

I closed my eyes and took a deep breath. Opening them back up, Garrett had a smug look on his face. "I didn't mean it like that."

"I think you did." He smiled and nodded at me.

"Don't start."

"No you don't start, you're acting like I don't know about Project S. We both know who that's for. It's not a secret."

I let out a breath that I was holding, "Yea, I know."

"When are you gonna tell Mason?"

"About?"

"Any of it. The project, the deal with my uncle, when are things gonna stop being such a secret." He was right, I had to think about when everything I was trying to accomplish would come out of the shadows.