Chapter 50-Martha

I got ENGAGED!! 💍🦋

So apologies about missing last week! 🥺
Don't worry I will continue to produce chapters as normal, I'm already working on the next one. 🥰
-------------

When I sent the text to Ryan I wasn't sure if he would show. Sure we've gotten our friendship going in the right direction but it's been two years since he participated in my holiday traditions. So I didn't want there to be an expectation for him to be here like old times.

My conversation with Lori earlier today was still rattling around in my brain but I wasn't going to let it deter me from this moment. Though it was easier said than done when this man showed up on my doorstep looking like that. Was he in a simple white tee shirt and gray sweat pants?... Yes... but the white tee shirt was form fitting accentuating all his muscles. I could clearly see an outline of his abs and the gray sweatpants....

Damn what is it about men in gray sweat pants in general. I'll never know.

Honestly, I didn't realize the big secret I had been hiding inside, all this time. I was truly oblivious to my attraction towards Ryan. I would try to chalk it up to the fact I hadn't been intimate with a man in some time but Ryan wasn't ugly by any means. I would have to be blind not to notice but he's my best friend so it only made sense why I kept denying it. Though finally saying it out loud for the world to hear, well Lori, only made it that much more real. My attraction towards Ryan was at the forefront of my mind and I don't think it's leaving any time soon.

"Where else would I be?" His charming smile took over his face as he stepped his way inside, forcing me to open the door more. Though I wasn't fast enough so he immediately invaded my personal space. The scent of fresh mint wafted my nose and it took everything in me not to noticeably take a deep breath.

Get it together!

I was getting flustered and took a sharp step back to give myself some room. If he noticed, he didn't show it. Ryan made the rest of the way inside allowing me to close the door. I then guided us to the kitchen to pick up where I had left off. "I don't know. I just know it's been awhile since you were around for the holidays and considering you don't really celebrate anyway ..."

"As if I was going to miss the opportunity to try your trial of christmas baking." Ryan said, saving me from my rambling as he leaned his back against the kitchen counter with his arms folded as he watched me work.

Whenever the holidays came around I always did a trial baking session. It was a day that I tried out old and new recipes. From basic chocolate chip cookies to Double fudge Dark Chocolate S'more brownies. This was a tradition my father started when I was 10. Majority of the good batches would then be put into decorative baggies and handed out throughout the neighborhood. Though when he passed, I had to keep that tradition alive even if it was just me in the kitchen. My mom was always welcomed to join but she wasn't the best baker and also had her own way of coping. Eventually Ryan would join me and attempt his best at helping. However we both knew it was only so he could  get his grubby hands all over the good batches. Though making him my taste tester did help me stop stuffing my face.

The past two years I was doing the tradition alone. Ryan wasn't around and Jonathan never participated to begin with so asking him would have just felt like I was trying to replace Ryan. So it was just me. Soon I'll have Paige join me. For now I don't want the consequence of the sugar rush.

"I am not going to lie, I missed this. I could never do what you do in the kitchen." Ryan said as he held up a spoon of chocolate that I had just used to finish putting the batter into one of the pans and into the oven. Taking his finger he scraped the inside of the spoon and brought it to his mouth. His eyes flickered up at me as he pulled his finger out, eyebrows raised, "What's up? Oh, were you going to use this again?" He said, referring to the spoon.