Chapter 19-Ryan

Paola Grant...

She was the type of girl that knew what she wanted from the time that she was 16. Paola was like me, grew up on the streets, went to public school.  From time to time she would find her way into my friend group, but it wasn't to hang out. Paolo was more of a fuck buddy than anything and she knew that. I couldn't give her anything more.

Fast forward a decade and I found her sitting in the corner writing in a notepad at the investors meeting. Turned out she was an assistant to one of the investors. Her black hair was pulled up into a well kept bun, she had red lipstick on with a tight white long sleeve button down and a gray skirt that stopped above the knee. I remembered Paola being a little shorter but the heels that she had on had to have added like 5 inches onto her. That 16 year old girl was long gone. She was mature and professional.

Mature and Professional...

I was currently sitting at a bar with Paola. The investors liked me and so I had to look over some paperwork. Unlike the other investors, Paola's boss sent her instead. She went over the logistics in fine detail and explained everything before handing them over to me. I was really impressed and after she asked me to stay for a drink or two to catch up, I didn't really see the harm. Though three vodka tonics in and the words 'Mature and Professional' were far from my mind when I looked at Paola Grant.

For the past 2 and ½ hours she has been going on and on about her executive assistant position and how much money she was making. The first time she said it I was genuinely impressed and happy that she was doing well for herself. By the 25th time I was convinced there was nothing else interesting about her. She rubbed her hand up and down my forearm and would try to play with my fingers. I was still on my one beer while she was currently on her third. I knew what she wanted; she looked at me how she used to when we were 16. I knew if I made eye contact all I was going to see were those 'fuck me' eyes.

"So," I raised my eyebrows as it seemed like she was going to change the subject, "what are you doing nowadays?"

Seriously, this is something one usually asks at the beginning of the night

I shrugged nonchalantly, "Well as you know I work at Precision Fixes & Tires."

"Yea, a bump up from the local auto shop, you're really handy when it comes to cars," she purred seductively at me, ".....so what's this investment thing you're doing?"

Not wanting to give much context, "Just something I'm doing for the owner, you know Mateo, right?"

"Well I know him as Mr. Moralez but yea."

"Yea well I'm just helping out." I said as I nodded away at my half assed response.

"Oh okay, so is working on cars like a hobby?"

Here we go

See this is what happens, they start to ask if being a mechanic is a lifelong goal of mine. If I think about being able to retire comfortably instead of working my ass off everyday. They just assume that I don't make good money or that I don't have plans. This is why I don't tell people what I've been up to lately. I don't want them looking at me differently. The only person who truly understood my passion for cars was Martha. Growing up she was always there supporting me, telling me I could own my own shop one day. We would spend every Sunday in my garage just working on something together, she loved when I taught her something new.

"Um...no it's not a hobby type thing, it's more of a forever type thing."

"That can't bring in much money though?"

"It pays the bills." I took a long sip of my beer, having my eyes drift elsewhere, praying for the conversation to end. Suddenly my eyes landed across the bar. There was a woman surrounded by guys but she wasn't paying them any mind. Her eyes were focused on the drink in front of her. When she looked up, those familiar deep pools of chocolate met mine.