Chapter 37 - Martha

Paige's fever broke in the middle of the day much to my relief. The following morning she was holding steady at a typical temp of 98.6. I wanted to keep her home from school to make sure it wasn't just a fluke.

Thinking this might be the best time to spend some time with my daughter, I told her we were having a 'Girls Day In'. Her inability to stop smiling told me what a good idea this was. I also texted Lori asking if she wanted to join. She immediately said yes with five exclamation points.

As I was cleaning up the house a little, the doorbell rang. When I looked through the peephole, Lori was on the other side smiling wide. She must have heard me approach the door because, "Open up Bitch!", was her greeting.

Letting her in, I saw she had two full duffle bags in her hands. "What's all this?" The clear hesitation and caution could be heard in my tone as I pointed to the items.

Lori didn't miss my domineer either, "You said we're having 'Girls Day In'." She said in a 'duh' tone, "So I brought the essentials. Now move." She shoved her way past with a smile on her face, settling the bags on the ground by the front steps. Lori took a good look around before bellowing throughout my house, "Where's my favorite niece?!"

I hastily shut the door and went to her side, "First of all, your 'favorite niece' is taking a nap and second of all don't let your brother catch you saying that. Do you remember what happened last time?"

"Oh please, he knows his children are demon spawns. His wife is proof of that." We both snorted at her comment as she entered the living room turning around to face me. "Anyways, let's get everything set up and ready!"

I noticed the two duffel bags were huge as she settled them onto the coffee table. One could only imagine what she brought as reinforcements. The memory of when I had officially kicked Jonathan out came to mind. She came over later that day after Ryan left with four bottles of wine, six romantic movies, five boxes of tissues, a trash can and some lighter fluid. I had to calmly explain to her that I couldn't just burn pictures of Jonathan, he was still my husband and the father of my child. We couldn't act like heart broken teenagers. Yet that didn't stop her from printing out pictures she's taken of us herself.

Yea that night was definitely one for the books

"Okay" I said as I plopped myself onto the couch, "What's in the bags this time?"

"Well," she gave me a knowing look that involved a grin and a wiggle of her eyebrows, "I happened to bring all the essentials for a spa day, in this one." She held up a silver duffle that had rhinestones on it. "There's a manicure and pedicure kit, facials, nail polish, essential oils, teeth whitening strips, some high end moisturizers I want to try out. Ooo...organic hair treatments!" I chuckled at her excitement, Lori was the best friend that always tried to think of everything. Paige would definitely enjoy getting the full on spa experience.

"Okay...then what's in the second bag?" I asked. If everything for our night could fit into one, what else could she have?

"Oh this?" her voice and face were laced with innocence as she pointed at the all black duffle bag.

I narrowed my eyes at her, "Yes that, I know you Lori."

"What?", she picked up the duffle and held it close to her, "This bag is for when the little one goes to sleep so don't worry yourself about it until later." I huffed in defeat recognizing I wouldn't find out until she wanted me too. Knowing Lori she probably has several bottles of wine in there and god knows what else she decided to bring.

                                                                                         ~~~~~~

After setting up the living room for a spa day, I brought Paige down from her room. She bounced up in so much joy when she saw how we decorated it. Lori and I put up blankets throughout the living room to make a walkable fort. Pillows were spread out on the floor, the shades were shut to make it darker and we hung up fairy lights. All spa essentials were placed on the coffee table along with some small lavender scented candles.