Chapter 60-Jonathan

WOW I can't believe it. I obviously have not been paying attention but I just noticed we are almost at 40K reads here!!!🎉

I couldn't be grateful that you guys are enjoying yourself and Martha's journey. 🥹 I am working simultaneously to start getting this book published and will be working on promotion. You can start finding promotion updates, learning about my writing process, creativity and when the next chapter is coming out on Instagram! Link In Bio ----> Go give it a follow to keep up

You are getting two updates in one day! Let's Get to It!👏🏼

--------------------------------------------------------

"Daddy, why are we at your work?"

"Well Daddy has a lot to do but that's why I made sure you had all your toys and coloring books, okay."

"Okeee Daddy." She said, smiling up at me. This was the first long week that I was going to have her to myself and to say I was nervous was an understatement. I couldn't have been more grateful when Martha suggested it. To me it was a sign of trust.

I placed Paige by the couch in my office with cartoons playing on a tablet and her coloring book with crayons. She was keeping busy as I was trying not to drown in work.

It being the end of the year should mean that work would slow down. That statement is incredibly false when you're trying to make a Name Partner at Haufman & Levine Law Firm. The file that Mr. Haufman left me on the new client for us to represent has to be sorted before the start of the new year. The client won't become an official member of this firm's family until the onboarding process is complete.

My current Senior Partner status allowed me to delegate work to my associates and paralegal. Though since I was actively avoiding Jackie I was down a paralegal.

Instead of trying to figure out how to get the details of the file without having to interact with her (Believe me I tried). I took a breath and stood making my way to Paige. Lightly lifting her headphones I said, "Hey Princess, Daddy will be right back okay. If you need anything just ask Gabe." She gave me a wide smile before going back to her coloring.

When I exited the office, Gabe was just hanging up the phone and writing on a sticky note. "Hey Gabe, I'll be right back. Just keep a look out for Paige please."

"Yea no problem."

~~~~~~

The glass front of her office was coming up as I made my way down the hall. Taking a breath I knocked and walked through the door.

She looked up from her computer and gave me a blank stare, "May I help you Mr. Carso?"

Mr. Carso

I would think that statement was innocent if it wasn't for the look in her eyes. I cleared my throat, "I'm here for the file Mr. Haufman gave you in my absence. The new client."

"Oh." She said and started flipping through the folders sitting in the wired mesh paper tray on her desk till she got the right one. "Here it is." Jackie leaned forward as she held the folder out for me to take.

I moved to grab it when she slyly snatched it back, "Just one thing."

I raised my brows expectantly.

"Mr. Haufman assigned me as the paralegal on this case. If that's a problem, I'm sure we can find another Senior partner looking to get his name on the door."

Of course

"Fine, whatever." I take the file and open it revealing its contents.

A few words stick out to me: