Chapter 58-Third Person

Hoping Paige liked Ryan's present was a complete understatement. The moment they came down, she looked elated to see him. Jonathan on the other hand looked like he wanted to put Ryan 6 feet under. "Uncle Ryan!!" Paige screamed as she jumped into his arms.

He stood at his full height and swung her around. "You came!"

"Of course I did. You wanna show me what Santa got you?"

"Yes!" He put her down and she grabbed his hand guiding him to the pile of new toys and clothes she got. Diana left a little while ago, for a Christmas party at the Country club only further confirming Martha's suspicions on her mother's wardrobe.

Lori went over to Martha who stood in the archway of the living room. Martha suddenly felt a swift kiss on her cheek. Lori winked at her and pointed up. When she looked, Martha saw a cute thing of mistletoe hanging above.

Martha closed her eyes and groaned, "How the hell did that get there?! That wasn't there when I went upstairs."

"What?! It's tradition." She innocently shrugged, acting completely oblivious.

Her eyes squinted in Lori's direction, "What game are you playing?"

"What do you mean? Can't I just want to kiss my best friend under some mistletoe." Martha rolled her eyes and turned back to watching Ryan and Paige talk. Jonathan seemed to be aimlessly on his phone.

Lori leaned into Martha, "I'm guessing he's feeling better." Referring to Ryan.

"Yea, he just needed a moment."

Paige's voice radiated through their conversation, "More presents?!" Ryan chuckled at her enthusiasm.

"Yup," he pulled the gift bag from behind him and handed it to Paige, "Here you go"

Paige practically ripped the bag out of his hands frantically taking the tissue paper out. Soon she revealed a Princess Sophia doll. Not just any Princess Sophia doll, it was the Princess Sophia doll. The one Martha scoured the earth for but came up empty. The doll talked, came with 3 different outfits and a brush for the hair. Paige gasped and jumped up and down. Martha couldn't believe he actually found it.

Paige seemed to have forgotten all about the doll because she never asked about it once. She was happy with everything else and kept telling everyone thank you. Though when she saw that doll everyone knew it was the one thing she was going to take everywhere with her. "Princess Sophia!!"

"You like it?" Ryan asked.

"I love it! It's amazing!!" Paige jumped into Ryan's arms and she kept repeating thank yous and I love yous. When she let go she stayed in his lap and gushed over the doll telling him all about it.

Jonathan suddenly got up making his way to the kitchen, by the fast movements and aggressive walk Martha knew he was pissed. It reminded her of when they fought, after the initial argument if they were walking in public Jonathan had a knack of walking faster than her, conveniently leaving her behind with his fast strides.

Lori and Martha gave each other a look, knowing Martha was gonna go follow him. Lori walked away to stay with Ryan and Paige.

Martha took a deep breath before heading toward the kitchen. When she entered she saw Jonathan rummaging through the cabinets finally landing on what he had been looking for... a bottle of wine. He took it out popping the cork and pouring. "What the hell are you doing?"

"Getting a drink." He said stoically.

"Jonathan please don't do this, not while your daughter is 10 feet away." He had downed one glass already and was about to pour himself another when he stopped and placed the bottle down.