Chapter 16

The next morning, we find ourselves walking deeper through the trees, side by side each other, not once leaving the other's side. I wish we could talk in our forms, that would be a lot easier.

I wonder if Oli has the power to allow us to talk in our forms?

"I don't have the power to allow you both to talk in your forms Kellin." I look over to my side to see Oli walking next to me. "But... I can allow the both of you to read each other's minds." He says, before he places two fingers on my head, along with on Vic's head.

I don't know what he did, but whatever it was, it worked.

I turn to Vic, finding him watching me curiously. "Kellin? Can you hear me?" I hear Vic say in my mind.

My ears prick up and my tail starts wagging behind me. "Yeah! I can hear you, Vic!"

His ears also prick up and he wags his tail. "Yes! We can communicate with each other!" He barks. "Thanks, Oli." He says, looking over at Oli.

Oli just smiles and nods at us, before he disappears, where to exactly, I'm not sure, leaving Vic and I alone walking through the trees.

We're far from the border now, and I have no idea where we are going. Suddenly my stomach started growling, and I stop, causing Vic to stop also and look over at me.

"You okay, kitten?" He asks.

I nod."Just hungry." I say, walking over to him.

He nods, before stopping me from moving with his tail and looking over at me. "Keep still. And stay there." He says. "I can smell deer."

He walks ahead slowly, and I sniff the air, smelling the strong scent of deer up ahead somewhere.

I lie down slowly as I wait for Vic to catch the deer and bring it back over to us. It's a good thing we won't get sick from eating our food raw like humans do. I prefer eating it cooked though, but raw isn't too bad.

After around ten minutes, Vic comes back over to me, carrying a deer in his mouth by its neck. I sit up, licking my lips as Vic drags his catch over to me. He drops the deer down next to me.

"Eat." He says, sitting down in front of me with the deer in between us.

Licking my lips, I look down at the deer, before taking a bite of it. Mmm, this is just what I need. Food. Fish would be better, but, deer is fine. I look up slightly to see that Vic has started eating also.

After we've finished eating, we lay in the shade together, Vic grooming my fur for me, while I slowly doze off to sleep. This pregnancy is making me really tired, but that's just one of the side effects of being pregnant, I guess.

Just before I could fall asleep fully, my ears pricked up, as I hear barking in the distance, and what sounded like, humans running through the trees. I sit up, looking over at Vic.

"Vic. I hear humans and their dogs coming." I say quickly.

He sits up and sniffs the air, before a low growl forms in his throat.

He nudges me up slightly, and I stand up, and follow him through the trees away from the humans and their dogs. We run away quickly, but I stop as I trip over something, landing on my side in the grass. Vic looks back over at me and runs over to me.

"Kellin! Are you okay?" He asks frantically.

I nod, standing back up into my feet. "I'm fine. Just, tripped over something." I say, but yelp in pain as I fall back down, whimpering slightly as I look down at my hind paw. I move it around, but whimper when a sharp pain shoots up my leg. Whimpering, I look up at Vic. "I think I sprained my paw."