Chapter 35

We're all waiting on what Kyle has to say. Waiting to hear every word of it. He has a way to be of help to us after all, and that's everything we could've asked for. But whatever Kyle's going to say, will the Cematos believe him?

Looking over where Vic still has Gerard pinned to the ground, I force myself not to just run up to them and help Vic rip the vampire to shreds. After all, it'll be my pleasure to do that. Gerard wants my pups and every other hybrid in existence dead. And, I mean, it would make sense if he had something to do with when Emmett Quinn went psycho all those years ago, and then again with Kyle.

Kyle looks between us all nervously, before speaking. "At first, I had no recollection of why I was banished from my pack. And then when everything that had happened came back to me, I thought I was imagining things." He explains. "Turns out I wasn't imagining things."

I notice Johnnie walk over to Kyle and wrap an arm round Kyle's waist. He kisses Kyle's cheek and urges him to continue.

"One night, I had gone out for a walk, and some vampire stopped me. I don't know who he was at the time, but I later recognized him as Gerard." Kyle goes on. "I'm not sure what he did to me. I remember he gave me some type of liquid. I'm not sure what it was, but he made me drink it." He explains. "And I was fine, till the next day when I..." He stops, sighing and looking down at the ground.

Looking over at the Cematos, I see that they're deep in thought, and Gerard is still pinned to the ground under Vic's paws. Vic has his lips drawn back in a snarl as he growls at Gerard as he tries to move out from under him.

"That does make sense, and I know of a potion that can turn even the sweetest of creatures into a raging monster that'll destroy anything in their path." Brendon says, looking at Kyle, then to Gerard. "But the effects of the potion... they never wear off." He adds. "I mean, it stops after a while, but there's always a risk that the one who drank the potion with snap and destroy everything in their way."

Looking over at Kyle and Johnnie, I notice the both of them stiffen slightly. If the effects of the potion that Kyle took won't wear off, then he is a danger, and would it be safe to have him around the pups? You never know, he might snap again and hurt or kill one of the pups. Given what Brendon had said. And how Kyle had reacted after Oli had retrieved him and Johnny.

"Gerard." Jared says, walking over to the vampire that was still on the ground under the paws of Vic. "Is what this hybrid says true?" He asks. "Have you done this?"

"So what if it's true or not?" Gerard asks, glaring at us all. "Every hybrid is an abomination to our kind!" He shouts, before knocking Vic down, and running at me, knocking me to the ground.

I try and push him off me, but he's too strong, and he's got his hands around my neck, trying to strangle me to death most likely. Slowly, my vision begins to grow dark, and it starts getting harder and harder to breath.

Till, suddenly, I only just notice a blur of brown and black fur, and I'm sitting right up, rubbing my throat as I gasp for air. I notice Vic running to my side, and he rubs the top of his head against my cheek as he whimpers slightly, clearly worried about me.

"I-I'm fine V-Vic." I gasp out, standing up with a little help from Vic, as he wraps his tail round my waist to keep me up straight.

Looking up at Vic, as he stands close to my side in his wolf form, I can't help but think how glad I am that I've got him back, and that he's not dead after all. I stroke a hand through his fur slightly, before turning to the three Cematos leaders, Jared, Patrick, and Brendon, who watch as Gerard fought with Kyle. But they make no move to separate them. Almost as if they want to see how this will all turn out.

And it's pretty much obvious now that Gerard was the one who caused both Emmett Quinn, and then Kyle to both lose control and attack those villages. If he wasn't guilty for that, then he wouldn't exactly be acting like this now.

The others behind us have now moved around closer to us, forming a circle around the area, along with some of the other creatures who work for the Cematos, they're all watching on as Gerard and Kyle fight in the middle of the circle.

Finally, Kyle has got Gerard pinned down underneath him, as he growls at him. I'm guessing that Kyle is possibly holding off from tearing the vampire to shreds right now, but honestly, if I were Kyle right now, I'd still rip him to shreds anyway. And given what Gerard had done to him, I don't blame him if he does.

"Jared." I say, catching the wolfs attention. "Hybrids aren't a danger, and they never will be." I say. "It was Gerard who made them lose control and attack those villages. Can't you see that?"

I look over to the side to find Billie, Tré, and Michael stepping forward, making their way over to Jared.

"Jared, please." Billie starts. "We used to be friends. We worked together under the old Cematos reign." He says. "You know us, and you know that the rule is bogus. You know that not all hybrids are a danger. You do remember your mate, Rochelle, don't you? Before her death long ago?"

Emotion flashes in Jared's eyes, and his expression softens. "Of course I do." He says. "I've never been able to forget her." He looks over towards where Gerard is still pinned down under Kyle, watching him, and glaring at Jared. "She was the sweetest thing. But was sentenced to death because of what she was. Her and our unborn child."

My eyes widen at that revelation. That Jared, one of the Cematos leaders, the most senior ranking one, formerly had a mate who was a hybrid, and was expecting. That is not something that i had expected. Nor is it something that I've ever heard of before. I guess that information is something that the Cematos has managed to cover up for centuries.

"Okay." Jared decides, turning back to me. "Now we won't remove the rule entirely, not yet anyway." He says. "But we'll make some modifications to it for the time being. Put out a warning to be careful if two different creatures decide to procreate in case of potential imbalances in their genes that may result in something less than ideal."

He looks around at the gathered creatures. "If hybrids are born, them and their parents will no longer be sentenced to death." He announces, loud enough for everyone to hear. "However, there are still risks to look out for, and for the time being, until we are absolutely certain that there's no risk caused by the imbalanced genes from two different creatures that may cause some unideal effects, we'll be monitoring all hybrids that are born." He says. "I only ask that you be careful, and every hybrid that's born or is to be born, is added to a registry. "

Well... it's not entirely the outcome that any of us were hoping for, but hybrid's are no longer outlawed, and that's what we were hoping to achieve. And the changing rules around hybrids makes sense, I suppose. For the time being, as Jared had said. And I can agree to those rules.

I turn to Vic and hug him tightly. We did it! We have done it, and our pups and every other hybrid can live full and happy lives now, even if they are now being monitored now just as a precautionary measure. And a precautionary measure that does make sense, I suppose.

However....

All our happiness is short lived, as there's a loud yelp of pain, and what sounds like bones cracking and a body crashing limply to the ground....

I pull away from Vic and look around for the source of the sickening sound, and what I find next is not what I was hoping would come from of all of this.

No blood was meant to be spilt from all of this. This wasn't meant to happen. All we came here to do, was to prove that hybrids aren't a danger, and get the rule that all hybrids are to be killed off the code. Not... not this.

Blood wasn't meant to be spilt. It just shouldn't have been. There just was no need for it to be spilt. But it is spilt anyway....