42 - Some Courage

I don't know where any of the courage came from. Maybe I'm so tired that I'm numb and I'm past the point of caring anymore. Maybe it's all the violence I've seen today and everything I've been through to get to this point. Maybe I've just... accepted my fate.

When we emerge on the surface again, Namjoon's theory is confirmed.

My eyes fixate on Jungkook. There's a ridiculous number of Fighters all gathered around him, overpowering him.

Someone grabs my wrist. I whirl around, ready to punch whoever it is but stop when it's Namjoon. "Let go of me," I say.

"Don't run."

"But they've got Jungkook."

"Don't go." Namjoon's tone is firm. He's desperately pleading for me to stay. "They're trying to lure you out."

"They've got Jungkook!" I yell again and try to pull my wrist out from his grip. "Let me go, you're wasting time!"

"You're walking into their trap."

"I. Don't. Care!" I stomp downwards, getting all the traction I can between my boots and the ground, before finally yanking myself away from Namjoon. Then I turn forward and sprint.

They're taking Jungkook closer to the crevice up ahead. A fall at that height is bound to be fatal. Without air to push me forwards I feel like I'm running too slowly and every muscle in my body aches, but I can't stop now. Not when he's in danger.

"STOP!" I wave with both arms so they see me. "I'm right here, okay? You win! Please let him go."

Most of the battle continues without noticing this but the Fighters targeting Jungkook freeze to look at me, which makes my stomach bubble with hope. I keep my hands raised in surrender. Jungkook is visibly tired. When I meet his gaze though there's still defiance in his eyes. Don't do this for me, they seemed to say.

But you would do the same, I thought, if it were me.

I smile faintly as I announce the words that will free him from their grasp. "I surrender."

An Earth fighter approaches and brings my arms behind my back. It's not like I could've done anything harmful anyways, with no elemental energy left. He stomps a strange pattern on the ground with his feet. The ground ripples and sends me towards the crevice, towards Jungkook.

It's for the best.

Me, a 16-year-old with just weeks of training, against Fighters in their 20s and 30s with years of training from the top officials of the Freedom Forces department. This battle wasn't one meant for us to emerge victorious in.

They bring me up next to Jungkook. We make eye contact again, but now he seems more withdrawn.

A different Fighter - probably the leader of this particular unit - walks so he's in front of us. The rest who aren't preoccupied in battle gather around to see. They look like they're admiring their hard work.

"Wait..." I try turning around to look at the Earth fighter who's holding my arms, but he forces me to look forwards again. "You promised to let go of Jungkook."

The Fighter in front of me chuckles lightly. "Trust shouldn't be given so freely, Y/n. That was your mistake."

"... so Jungkook won't be-"

"No, no." He walks slowly, dark eyes taking us in. "The principal's order was for us to capture you, but you were rather difficult, so we had to use him. Which worked," his eyes glittered, "like a mouse running toward cheese in a mousetrap."

"You want to capture me, not him," I say again, "so let him go."

The Fighter shrugs happily. "The principal wants revenge for all the inconvenience you've caused."

I straighten my shoulders. "So?"

"So that's why you're able to stay alive, Y/n," he coos, "while he can't."

Wait-

In a coordinated effort some Fighters lift Jungkook into the air while others block me off. Jungkook springs into action, trying to wind them away even though he's nearly out of energy, and a bunch of yelling breaks out as more Fighters go against him and there's so many of them shoving him closer to the edge and my heart drops and I want to look away.

We won't make it out.

He won't make it out.

I struggle against the Fighters holding me down. I pull on the sounds around me, willing the golden threads to come back please just one more time, but nothing comes of it. The Fighters mercilessly gain ground. I look back up at him again right when he stumbles on the precipice and my world shatters.

"No!" I scream. "NO! JUNGKOOK!"

~

A/N: 👀