4 - Boxes

I have a bad feeling that there's no way to stop it.

My mind is numb. The walls slide in, one by one, closing the space between them. They're nudged gently from one side to the next. The blank white mercilessly pushes forward.

There is something eerie about this situation that I don't like in the slightest.

I look around blindly, searching desperately for something to get me out.

An idea crosses my mind - I could go back and touch a random box to get out of here - but when I look over, they're already gone. All that's left is the white table.

I think about using the table to knock a hole in the wall, but when I start walking towards it, it disappears too.

I turn in a circle, scanning the room quickly from the ceiling down to the floor, looking at each and every corner as the walls close in. I observe how the edges of the room interact as the space inside gets smaller, but nothing comes to mind. Unless...

I prod gently at the wall closest to me and it sounds hollow.

Wait... hollow?

I tap the wall. It starts cracking under my touch. My eyes narrow. This is too easy. Why didn't I do this before? Surely it can't be a rip-off of Divergent, the government's too smart to let that slide.

It can't be...

Nevertheless, I keep tapping on the wall furiously. Cracks appear, and they slowly break open the wall. I exhale in relief and continue tapping the wall like a giant button. The walls continue to slide in, but the slits from my wall-tapping get wider and wider.

I'm almost out of here!

The wall cracks so much under my touch that it breaks into a spider-web pattern. The cracks open, but they don't lead me to anything. What a thick wall! And why would it sound hollow? I keep trying, but it doesn't break no matter how hard I tap it.

The wall holds strong.

Shattered, but indestructible.

Was that a trap? A way for the test to waste my time?

I've only got a few feet of space left.

Inhaling deeply and taking in all the strength I have, I hold up a fist and punch the cracked wall with all my might. Besides an injury in my hand that'll definitely result in a bruise later, nothing happens.

I look around at the small amount of space left and start freaking out.

I've tried every possible way. I've struggled silently in this test for so long, but this is the breaking point that I won't be able to pass. I couldn't solve this puzzle in time. Maybe it'll all end right here, and maybe I'll get kicked out of high school forever, and I'll never be able to go to college, and never get a job that I like, and never fulfill any of my dreams.

What a disappointment.

I feel the walls close in. I sit against one of them and curl up, desperately trying to live for just a little bit longer, trying to withstand the inevitable doom that waits for me - but the wall continues to push me forward.

Too soon, I feel the wall on the opposite side touch my feet.

I hold my head in my hands, eyes closed furiously against the terrifying reality of the white room, and scream - the last instinct that my body could come up with in a feeble attempt to survive.

But I sense the sound waves of my scream, and in a moment of realization I finally figure out why the situation felt so off: while the walls closed in, they emitted no sound. The whole room was silent even as things moved around.

My fingers curl desperately around the last strands of the sound waves caused by my scream, and I see the golden threads around my hand again. Its comforting presence spreads hope inside of me and I use it to push outward.

The walls are still for a moment, and after balling my right hand into a fist, there is a terrifying CRACK!

Then everything starts moving backwards.

I struggle to catch my breath. Within moments, the walls move back until the room is restored to its original size.

I lay on the floor for a few seconds, staring at the white ceiling, panting from exhaustion.

A door opens.

I close my eyes. Please leave me alone.

"Congratulations, Y/n Park. You have completed the test."

My head jerks up and I see a different guy in a blue t-shirt standing there. A door in the wall, which wasn't there before, is open.

I inwardly groan and let my head rest back down on the floor.

"Er, you're supposed to leave now. Everyone else has finished."

They're done already? But there were a good amount of students left when I went into testing...

"We don't have all day."

I want to say something clever back, but exhaustion hits me in waves.

"Too tired," I mumble, which somehow it takes a ridiculous amount of energy to do. My eyes close.

Forget it.

Footsteps come rushing in and start pulling me up off the ground, but that makes the exhaustion and dizziness worse. Their voices blend into faint echoes.

It's the last thing I hear before darkness takes me.

~

???

Somewhere in the distance, an autumn leaf is falling to the floor. When it touches the ground, a layer of frost freezes over it.

He smirks in satisfaction.

~

A/N: There's our first glimpse into an unknown point of view 👀

In the next chapter, we'll find out what the results are. We'll also encounter a new character. Remember to vote and comment! 👌