10 - Platforms

"... and I don't think you guys will make it in time."

Author's Note: Buckle yo' seatbelts! 😎

"You can't send backup out here?!" J-Hope exclaims

"Uh, no... we won't make it in time either." The voice falters for a moment. "And we used up our energy fighting for dumplings this morning, so we wouldn't be useful anyway. Sorry!"

"Whyyy," Jungkook groans. A second later, the truck seems to speed up the tiniest bit more. "Quick, you guys. We need a plan."

"I don't think there's anything we can do," J-Hope says.

"Just go FASTER!" I panic. "Faster so they can't catch up!"

"Hey, weren't you the one complaining about speed earlier?" Jungkook gives me a side glance.

"Well now we're being chased!" I huff. "So GO!"

"I'm already going the fastest we can go at!"

"Then what do we do?!"

J-Hope leans toward the driver's seat. "Jungkook, have you used any of your energy?"

"Not much, why?"

"I can drive, since I still need time to regenerate mine. You sit with Y/n and fight them off."

My eyes widen. "We're fighting?!"

"Well, we're not exactly going to surrender and offer them ice cream now, are we?" Jungkook smiles.

"I don't know..." I mumble. "Our principal might like that."

I cautiously smush myself against the door anyway for Jungkook and J-Hope to smoothly switch seats. I have no idea how they do it, but the truck doesn't slow down one bit.

"Warning! They're approaching fast," the staticky voice says just as J-Hope gets settled in the driver's seat. "You've got about two minutes."

Jungkook grabs the walkie talkie. "Copy that."

I notice that his hands are slightly trembling.

I don't blame him - everything is happening so fast. I'm shaking like a leaf as I un-smush myself from the door and settle into his lap.

"Okay Y/n," Jungkook says. Even though his hands are shaking, his voice is eerily calm. "You make sure you're safe and secure in my lap, got that? Don't freak out. I'll fight them off."

"You against all those people?"

"If you're able to help, then by all means go ahead," Jungkook says. "Otherwise... I guess I'm on my own."

He wraps his arms around my waist and pulls me closer.

Oh-?

I wasn't expecting that. I try to hide the blush that's slowly but surely making its way to my face. Now is not the time Y/n!

"They're coming any moment!" the walkie talkie voice yells.

I make sure to put a stop to those thoughts and focus on reality. Now is not the time to get flustered. There are guards coming, and we're about to fight, and it's the three of us against who-knows-how-many guards, and oh my gosh what if we lose what will happen to us then-

I realize that my breaths are shallow. I try to inhale and exhale in a controlled manner, but all that does is make me more nervous.

I look in the side mirror.

Sure enough, the guards from earlier are running on the road right behind us. They're so in sync that it's actually kind of impressive. I notice that they're all wearing black masks with symbols, but the design is too hard to make out.

How did they catch up so quickly?

And how can they run so fast? What?!

"You should be able to see them behind you now," the walkie talkie man says quickly. One of the guards raises a hand up towards us. A second one follows, then a third. "They're also coming from the side and the front, so I suggest you sho -"

Suddenly I feel Jungkook stiffen beside me as J-Hope yelps in fright. I'm just about to ask them why, and then the ground disappears below us.

The earth rumbles. A green mist hangs in the air, amorphous...

I hear Jungkook mutter something along the lines of "earth people", but there's too much noise around us for me to be sure.

I desperately sit up and look out the front window for a better view, only to see-

"A ROAD CLIFF EDGE!" J-Hope yells.

"STOP!" I scream with Jungkook. "STOP THE TRUCK -"

J-Hope slams his foot down on the accelerator instead.

"J-HOPE!"

"OOPS! WRONG PEDAL THING -"

The guards had lifted up a section of the road. We're driving on a floating platform and accelerating to our doom.

I don't want to look, but my eyes remain glued on the end of the platform in shock. We can all tell that it's too late. That was our chance. Missed.

J-Hope finally slams on the break and I almost fall out of Jungkook's lap.

The edge still comes closer and closer.

"AAAAAHHHH!" The three of us scream in unison.

My mind is sent into a frenzy. Jungkook holds me tighter in his arms. J-Hope steers in an attempt to create more distance from the fall.

It's no use now.

We can do nothing but watch in horror as the truck flies off the edge of the platform. We're much, much higher than I thought we were, and at this height, I'm almost sure that our journey will end when we meet the ground below us.

The height is disorienting. It all happened so fast.

I squeeze my eyes shut and brace myself for the stomach-dropping sensation of falling.

That, and the sensation of hitting the ground.

~

A/N: Well that was intense. And look! I literally left this on a "cliff-hanger". Get it? Cause we just went off a cliff road edge thing...? Yeahhh 😅

See ya later this week! <3