29 - You're It!

A/N: Thank you for the encouragement and love! Don't hesitate to leave feedback so I can improve my writing ^^

"TAG! YOU'RE IT!" Jin yells.

Jungkook whirls around, grabs me roughly by the arm, and pulls me away into a run. We will not get caught. Not this time, not now. And certainly not by J-Hope.

"I'm right BEHIND YOUUU!"

J-Hope's screech reaches our ears loud and clear. Jungkook runs impossibly faster and I fight harder, pushing my feet against the rough soil underneath us as we travel deeper into the heart of the woods. We fly over tree roots and underbrushes. My vision shakes with every step.

J-Hope remains hot on our tails.

"You're not getting away this time!"

We don't waste energy trying to speak. I simply follow Jungkook's lead like I've always done, trusting him to find the best way out.

The light in the sky slowly fades away the further we run. The world above us, a crystal blue before, turns into a canopy of rough branches. But the distance between us and J-Hope remains the same as ever in our endless race...

"Safety," I yell to Jungkook. Our code word for 'I'm tired and I can't keep this up much longer'.

"There's no safety this time!" J-Hope sings. "No escape!"

Jungkook looks ahead, gauging the distance, then glances back at me. He holds up two fingers. Two more minutes.

I nod. I can do that.

The grass keeps our footsteps silent. The only sound that reaches my ears is our breathing and the excited racing of my heartbeat. It feels so good to be running again, to feel the wind fly past me and through my hair. I watch Jungkook's jacket billow behind him to distract myself from exhaustion.

I will not slow down. Slowing down means defeat.

J-Hope is still right behind us but he's not yelling anymore, which means he must be getting tired too.

The woods become so dense that, even with our air powers, it's very difficult to make a clear path and travel quickly. J-Hope is at a disadvantage now because he can only bend light, not physical objects. Jungkook points at a nearby tree.

"This one?"

"The trunk is too smooth," I shake my head.

"How 'bout this one?"

I look up at the top of the second tree, which still has a fair amount of branches at the top. "Seems good enough."

"Come on!"

We climb like our lives depend on it. Whenever there's a branch that's too flimsy to stand on, we pull up on the air to make ourselves lighter - a skill that we've mastered playing intense tag every chance we got.