25 - Surprise...?

A/N: Thank you for almost 4k views! Words can't express my gratitude for every single read, vote, and comment 💜

The surprise attack.

That's what comes to mind when I walk away with the soldier - Suga, Namjoon, Taehyung, and Jin are still on standby. All I need to do is buy them more time. Surely they'll be ready when we need it...

The soldier stops walking and faces me when we reach the corner of the parking lot.

I brace myself.

"So!" the soldier rubs his hands together. "You've decided to join us. Wise choice. Your buddies will stay safe, you'll help the government... it's perfect, isn't it?"

Not really.

"There's just one more thing, Y/n. Where's your mask?"

"Huh?" I blink.

The soldier raises an eyebrow. "Your mask. We sent it to you in the mail."

Oh.

Fudge, where is it?

I remember Jimin handing it to Namjoon, and Namjoon throwing it to me. I must've left it back in the red truck.

The soldier tilts his head at my lack of response.

"I'll ask you one more time," he murmurs. An orange street light casts dark shadows across his face. "Where is your mask, Y/n?"

I take a deep breath.

In, out.

C'mon, think think think-

"I...uhh... " I clear my throat and cross my arms. "I left it in the toaster."

It was the first thing I could think of. I grimace right after, expecting a bad response, but the man doubles over in laughter instead.

His voice rings loudly over the abandoned parking lot.

"Oh, Y/n," he says, wiping tears from his eyes. "What a fool. You've made a big mistake."

"Your existence is a bigger one," I blurt.

Sh*t.

I clap my hands over my mouth. Not good. It just slipped out - a side effect of living with seven other people who bicker all the time.

The soldier stops laughing and narrows his eyes. "What did you say?"

"Nothing."

He doesn't say anything else. I keep my gaze locked on the ground, afraid to look up because of what I might find - a stern frown, perhaps, or maybe cold dark eyes... 

The silence makes me uncomfortable.

I shift under his gaze.

"I've had enough of you, Y/n," he sneers. "Turns out you're nothing without your buddies. Nothing. You're a coward."