52 - Sent

"JUNGKOOK!"

"Y/N!"

I laugh and run, seeing his figure in the distance, feel his familiar presence bending the air around him to propel himself forward, and I do the same, and it feels like I've come home at last, finally, finally-

We bump into each other with such force it knocks both of us down onto the ground, but Jungkook is there to cushion the fall with his air elemental and I melt into the hug and hold him tight.

"It's so good to see you," I mumble into him.

"Good to see you too," he laughs. It's the cutest, and absolute music to my ears. I cry happy tears.

"I really did know you were out in this great big world somewhere, you know." He boops his nose with mine. "You're always there, even if not in-person."

I smile. "Always."

There is disbelief and also shouts of joy around us. Eventually me and Jungkook collect ourselves again and I say hi to J-Hope and Jimin, witness everyone else shouting at the reunion, and all our excited screams feed off on each other until we hysterically end up in one big group hug. Even Suga feels jolly with all the physical contact because he couldn't have missed everyone more.

"Alright, everybody inside!" Jin hollers over us eventually, making big circle gestures with his arms toward the base. "Let's party!"

Jungkook and I share a look. Then, his smile never leaving his face, I feel the air change around us.

I bet you're hungry. Let's get this bread!

He tilts his head toward the kitchen.

My eyes widen.

"How - why did - did you just -?"

"No, not telepathy," Jungkook says. "It worked though didn't it?"

I nod in awe.

He smiles adorably and pulls me over to him. "I've been working on it. Sound waves and wind velocity - all for you."

~

It almost feels like we're back to the good old days. Almost, because none of us are the same as we were before we left this place. But we're united again and that's what matters.

Jimin and Taehyung are crowded around a piece of paper, brainstorming a letter that they decided to send to Freedom Academy for the heck of it. Their lyric-writing skills come in handy. Suga wholeheartedly loves the idea and stops by every once in a while to drop a few scathing lines he cooked up before walking right back into his music studio. Jin is making food that already smells really good coming out of the kitchen. Namjoon listens intently to J-Hope's new shadow theory. Sometimes they come by where I'm sitting to ask some questions, and then they add on to the diagram they're drawing out on a board. And Jungkook is trying to balance a juice box on Jimin's head, who gladly tolerates it. I feel a content sensation inside - knowing that we still have so much to live for, and so much to accomplish, but also resting in the knowledge that we're all safe and sound, and we can afford to rest for now.

Jin announces 10 minutes left before the food is ready. Jimin and Taehyung take the letter to everyone so we can all read it before he and Jungkook work together to send it off. Namjoon runs off to get Taehyung from the treehouse and Suga from the music studio. It's a beautiful chaos, just like the old days.

"That was sooo satisfying!" Jimin laughs and bounces on his feet. "I can already imagine their faces when they open that letter."

I can see how free and happy Jimin is, finally. He notices my gaze and when we make eye contact, he sheepishly smiles. I smile back.

When all is done and we crowd around the rickety dinner table, I almost see my past self hesitating and taking in the seven stray students who I'd blindly trusted at the time - seven people who are now my family, who share the same goals as me to defy and reform the entire education system.

Jungkook squeezes my hand next to me. And suddenly I feel a strange sense of knowing, something fate-like, that the eight of us will be together for a very long time. Forever and always.

~

The principal rubs a hand over his face and sighs.

They've all run away: eight stray teenagers. What could they possibly be discovering that this system, perfected over centuries, hasn't already done?

But it doesn't matter. He had more business to tend to. He had Fighters to train, a Commander to give a good talking to, and preparation for future battles. They cannot let themselves be humiliated with such a large blow to their numbers again.

His gaze is settled on the view outside his window but he isn't really seeing, and instead turning over dark plans in his mind. Movement from the corner of his eye catches his attention.

Scrutinizing it with suspicion, he pops open the window and moves to grab the object - it looks like a letter - but it flies in too quickly and sets itself down right in the center of his desk.

The principal scoffs. What kind of a stupid doughnut would have enough ego to set their thing down right in the center of his desk? Such a thing shall never be tolerated. He has half a mind to dismiss it right then and there, but with a huff he walks over and picks it up.

Dear Freedom Academy,

We've claimed victory. You may not have caught us, and we may not have overthrown you, but no matter how hard you try, you cannot win over true friendship. It's a stalemate, really.

What's the disappointment like? You'll have to tell us because, sadly, we'll never be able to know.

It was wrong of you to separate Y/n on the grounds of "research". It was wrong of you to blackmail Jimin. It was wrong of you to mess with us, and it is wrong of you to treat the student population in such an inhumane way.

The eight of us are a team. Inseparable. If you mistreat a student again, they'll be removed from your grasp and welcomed to our family - a concept you'll never really understand. You won't be able to stop us. You'll only get more frustrated and our team will only grow. We urge you to be cautious because we'll come back in the future, stronger than ever, not only with our creativity but also with numbers to match yours, and you might find your system... jeopardized.

Let this experience serve as a lesson to you. Your failure is our victory.

Remember our name.

We are BTS.

~

The End