26 - Surprise!!

Jimin sighs.

It's soft. And gentle. Like wind whispering through the trees.

 Like wind whispering through the trees

"I'm sorry."

Those are the only words he says.

"To your friends? Hah! You should be." The Commander puts a hand on his shoulder. Something about Jimin softens, which raises suspicion in me. "I'd be angry if I were them too. But good job, anyway, for trying to follow my orders."

"No," Jimin shakes his head.

The Commander pauses. "No?"

"No."

"To what?"

Jimin shakes his head again, and I can see a slight smile tugging on the corner of his lips. "You misunderstood me," he says. "I'm not sorry to my friends. I'm sorry to you."

"For what?" The Commander looks thrown off.

"I purposely didn't follow your orders. I wanted to be here, and I let Hobi come for protection."

"The duck? What could he even- OOF!" The soldier gets elbowed in the ribs by the Commander, who's evidently annoyed.

The Commander growls. "You did it on purpose?"

"I won't give up the girl," Jimin says simply. He gestures at me. "She means more to me than you'll ever understand. She's family."

I struggle to wrap my mind around this. So is Jimin actually on our side, or is he working for them, or is he doing double-agent stuff, or what?

What's his true intention?

The Commander chuckles, but he seems to be nervous too. "Oh come off this ridiculous camaraderie nonsense -"

"No. She's my best friend and she's in my team. Also, she's got a sense of humor that you'll never have," Jimin smiles. "So of course she comes first. I'm sorry."

The Commander's breaths get deeper, and his fists ball up. It's understandable - Commanders live nearly their entire lives being respected, so a deliberate act of disrespect ticks them off. A lot.

Jimin doesn't stop there. He continues talking, and his voice becomes a soft hum above the tension that's building up.

"You know what kind of life I want to have? I want to be understood in my darkest moments. I want to be comforted on a bad day... I want to hang out with friends and live my life without consequences hanging over my head. And I know for sure that it's not the life you'd want me to choose. So for all of that, and my disobedience, I'm sorry."

The air around us feels charged. It's similar to what I felt when the soldier was preparing to attack me.

Then in a moment of horror, I realize what's happening: the Commander is preparing for a fatal attack.