49 - Light

There's hope in the air. After finding some strength in me thanks to Namjoon's words, I get up and eat for the first time in awhile.

I marvel at the warmth of soup, at the snow falling outside, at the dark sky, at the wilderness around me covered in layers of whiteness, and it all looks so beautiful. We were so absorbed in fighting that we hadn't noticed all these little things earlier. I wish he was here to see it, too, and sadness tugs at my chest - but I set it aside for now, knowing he would understand and that he'd want me to be strong.

The others mostly give me space but respond gently when I initiate conversation. I appreciate the quiet.

It's dark and cold outside. A breeze plays with my hair as I wander a few ways away from the tent. It reminds me of him, but instead of shying away from it like I used to, I let it be.

I'll continue to fight, I think. For you.

Nothing happens of course. The wilderness stares back at me, plain as ever. I stop and lean on a tree, gazing at the scenery around me.

I want to send a message to him.

It doesn't work that way. No elemental message in this physical world could ever reach the beyond. I know that. But I want to tell him that I'm okay. He would've been worried, in those final moments, and if anything could ease that pain... it's worth trying. Even if it only comforts me in the end.

Gradually I ease the air elemental into my hands. It almost seems to stretch and yawn since it had sat dormant for so long, grateful for the relieving outside air. I gently tell them my intent - send a message to Jungkook. They understand.

It's okay Jungkook. I'm okay.

I smile.

I'll keep fighting.

The air I generate wraps itself up, containing a message, and then it flies away. I can't tell if it'll dissipate or if it's going somewhere specific.

For a few seconds I stand still. I feel the phantom warmth of a campfire by my side and gentle soothing pulses on my forehead. When I glance around though, it's the unchanged winter night, cold as ever. The aftermath of sending a message? I wonder. But no matter - I did what I wanted to do.

I look outwards for just a bit longer before turning around and trudging back to my tent. The rest of the way there, I chant the message to myself like a mantra.

It's okay Jungkook. I'm okay.

I'll keep fighting.

~

Jungkook wades through water.

The land around him is too high. Cliffs tower over him like looming shadows. The sky is black and the water's black too. He has nothing to hang on to, nothing to climb on to escape the water, and he's losing energy. He needs to get out or he'll drown.

He struggles around the corner of another cliff but it only reveals another stretch of ravine, ashen and desolate. He swims onward anyway, tired and hopeless eyes still searching for flat land. The meager hope in him is dying.

He wonders how much longer he'll manage to stay alive.

A white streak slowly crosses the sky overhead. Jungkook glances upwards.

Shooting star?

He barely registers the fact before looking down again to continue swimming. He never really believed in things like this but at this point he's desperate and anything is worth trying. He won't make it out - the cliffs are too high and who knows how deep the water goes. Everything is lifeless here.

He makes a wish.

Let Y/n be okay.

He doesn't think much of it at first. He keeps scrambling through the water, but the cliffs are being illuminated by an ever-brightening sky so he looks up again. The star has gotten bigger.

It's approaching him.

Is this the end, he wonders, when the star swallows the world whole?

It slows down when it nears him. He's too tired to do anything substantial enough to protect himself, only barely managing to tread water with limbs that feel too heavy.

"It's okay Jungkook. I'm okay."

His eyes widen at the soft white glow above him.

"I'll keep fighting."

So this is what the star is here for... he laughs in disbelief, then overwhelming happiness. Relieved tears pool his eyes because nothing else matters anymore, his wish worked, he heard her voice, Y/n is okay.

The star embraces him, makes him feel lighter. Strength flows back through his veins and he feels alright again, and a cold breeze rushes through and it's cold, and it's snowing, and he's walking back towards a gray tent while chanting something, and there's a campfire next to him, and there's a hand on his forehead, and everything is okay. There's time to rest and heal. We're here for you. Everything is okay.

They're out there.

They're out there waiting for me, he realizes.

He struggles more, with newfound hope, reaching out for the white light from the star that is saving him from the gloomy landscape. The water around him flinches away from the light and he finds his footing again, he's standing, being embraced and cherished and protected by the light.

Love: a ray of hope in a world that is otherwise dark and corrupt.