32: Insomnia

Authors pov:

Once home, Taehyung slammed the door shut, his heart hammering a wild rhythm against his ribs. A grin stretched impossibly wide across his face. He sprinted to the bed, diving onto the soft mattress with a joyous shout that died in his throat. Jeongguk's room is just across the hall, and Taehyung didn't wants to let his new new boyfriend hear his madness. Burying his face in the pillow, he squeezed his eyes shut, the memory of their confession,their dinner date,the dance and the kiss they shared flashed behind his eyelids. A muffled giggle escaped his lips as he kicked his legs in the air, the aftershocks of pure ecstasy coursing through him.

"Come on, Taehyung,get a grip on yourself" he muttered, forcing himself off from the bed. but his gaze snagged on the cool metal in his finger, stealing his breath away. the ring was everything he'd ever dreamed of – a simple platinum band adorned with a single, sparkling sapphire that mirrored the color of Jeongguk's eyes. a wave of warmth washed over him as he brought the ring to his lips, whispering, "I love you, Jeongguk." The memory of Jeongguk's gentle smile as he'd slipped the ring on  his finger ,flickered in his mind. with newfound determination, Taehyung pushed himself to his feet and turned to the wardrobe. A grin split his face as he spotted the familiar soft fabric hanging there – the PJs Jeongguk had bought him when he'd first moved in after the accident. Taehyung had never brought himself to wear them, a silent promise he'd made to himself. But today, today felt different. Today was a celebration of their love, and these PJs, a symbol of Jeongguk's care, were the perfect way to mark it. With a soft sigh, he pulled them out, a secret smile playing on his lips.

                                                               ******

Jeongguk flopped back onto his bed with a happy sigh, a smile plastered across his face as he replayed the events of the evening. The nervous flutter in Taehyung's hand as he slipped on the ring, the shared chuckles and music that they dance  echoed through the backyard, the way Taehyung's eyes crinkled shut when Jeongguk kissed him – these were the moments Jeongguk would forever treasure.

A pang of guilt stabbed at him. He longed to hold Taehyung close, to shower him with affection, but a familiar fear held him back. The fear of making Taehyung uncomfortable, of pushing boundaries and causing him to withdraw. He knew Taehyung still harbored scars from the past, the memory of harsh words and broken trust. Jeongguk understood that rebuilding trust took time, and the last thing he wanted to do was jeopardize their newfound happiness.

Jeongguk closed his eyes, picturing the kaleidoscope of emotions that flickered across Taehyung's face when he accepted the ring. there was love, of course, a spark of hope, and a flicker of excitement that mingled with a deeper, underlying fear. Jeongguk recognized that fear. It was the fear of taking a chance, of opening oneself up to someone who might hurt you again. but the love that shone in Taehyung's eyes, a love that mirrored Jeongguk's own, was a powerful force. Perhaps, with time and patience, Jeongguk could show Taehyung that this love was worth the risk.

Fueled by pure gratitude, Jeongguk pushed himself off the bed and padded towards the wardrobe. A simple black vest and sweatpants seemed appropriate for the quiet night of reflection. Stepping into the steaming shower, he let the hot water cascade down his tired muscles, easing the aches of the day.

Emerging refreshed, he ruffled his hair, a playful habit. But the sound that followed sent a jolt through him – slow, deliberate footsteps echoing down the hallway. A hesitant smile tugged at his lips. He knew exactly who it was at this late hour. Tossing the towel on the chair, he approached the door with quiet steps and gently pulled it open.