Chapter 67

2 months later -

Noelle's point of view -

I lay the fire wood down into a neat stack next to the cave wall.

"Hey Noelle," Jasper says and pulls out a can from the duffle bag. "This is our last can of food."

"Oh...great." I sigh, "Time for another run."

Jasper nods, "I'll get our stuff packed."

Nodding my head I grab my machete from its spot beside my sleeping bag, and put it in the holster.
    Jasper packs our bags with ammo, water, granola bars, and matches.

After we finish packing, we double check everything and head off.

. . . . .

Jasper and I walk down the main road. The small town that we've come to love in our worst times was a few feet away.
    I take the machete from its holster and grip it tightly in my hand. Looking over at Jasper and giving him a 'be ready' look. He nods in return and takes out his pistol.

We walk into the empty town, looking at every car we pass, and checking down ever ally.

Entering a small gas station, Jasper and I quickly scope out the area, then grab anything we needed.
   We stuffed our bags full of cans, water, and dry foods. I even grabbed deodorant, and a toothbrush and toothpaste.

"Shit! Shit!" I hear Jasper whisper/yell. "Get low!"

I peek from behind a isle and look at the doors.

Walkers roamed the street, some inched toward the door of the gas station.
  A quiet "fuck." Escaped my mouth and I quietly go to the back of the store and crouch to Jasper.

"Listen, we take out the two coming into the store, if they do that is, and make a run for it." I whisper.

"Are you insane? You'll get us killed!" Jasper whispers back.

"Just trust me. Dieng out there would be better than dieng in a gas station." I whisper and growl lowly.

Jasper sighs and nods.

I nod and stand up, slowly walking to the door.
  The two walkers at the door notice me, almost immediently, and opened the door.

I grip my machete and swing it around, chopping off one of their heads. Jasper comes from the other way and grabs one from behind, using his knife to pierce through its skull.
    We glance at each other quickly and exchange a nod. Then we run.

Walkers noticed us. Almost like they had already known we were there.
  The dead started to surround us. Though there were only about twenty-five of them, it was a lot, just for two of us.

I groan and grip my machete tighter, my knuckles turning white.

A walker comes closer to me, and I stab the blade through its eye.
  The sounding of Jaspers pistol going off almost startles me.

"God dammit." I mumble. Whipping my machete around and cutting off another head and watching it roll to the ground.

The sound of gun shots runs through my ears...and everything seemed to be in slow motion.
Blood splattered my face and my clothes as I stab through the dead. I watched the bodies fall limply to the ground with a thud, and heads roll on the floor.

Suddenly a dog bark brings me from the small trance. Wait, a dog bark?

I quickly whip my head around to the noise, and I notice Jasper did too. We looked at the direction it came from and noticed a large, black dog with a white stomach jump from the window of a car.
The dog growled and barked deeply, and jumped onto the back of a walker. I watched as it bit into the skull of a 'man' and instantly kill it.

The feeling of a hand grabbing my shoulder snapped me back to reality. A scream escaped my mouth as I looked at the walker about to sink its teeth into my arm.
I bring the butt of the machete up and bring it to the walkers head. Nocking it back a bit. Then I twirl the blade in my fingers and pierce it through its empty eye socket.

The walkers started to decrease and decrease until they were gone. All laying in a pile around us.
I let out a deep breath and look at Jasper. He looks at me giving me a reassuring nod.

Looking over at the dog, who's mouth and face was blood stained, I smiled.

"Hey there bud..." I chuckle, "You really kicked ass."

The dog looked at me, letting out a low growl as its hair stood up on its back.

"Easy now, I ain't going to hurt you." I say, stepping closer and holding my hand out to it.

"Noelle, what are you doing?" Jasper asks.

"Shh...I'm not going to hurt you." I repeat.

The dog keeps growling, but as each step I took they seemed to get lower.
I step closer until my hand reached the dogs head. It stopped growling and looked at me, almost like it was confused, and let out a whimper.

"See? No harm." I smile and rub its head. Noticing the collar and the leash dangling from the dogs neck, I look at it.

"So, your name is Zeus." I say, reading the name tag on the collar.

Zeus licks his lips and pants.

"Well Zeus, you're going to be my new friend." I chuckle and grab ahold of the leash, standing up and turning around.

Jasper raised an eyebrow, "We're bringing him with us?"

"Yes." I nod. "If you don't like it, then don't come with, but he saved our asses so we're saving his."

Zeus barks happily and wags his tail.

Jasper rolls his eyes but nods. "Let's go before any more come." He says and turns on his heels and starts walking.

I chuckle and follow behind him with Zeus.

. . . . .

So, we have a new member of the gang!

Since Zeus is a dog, I'm going to give you a short bio for him.

Zeus
Male
Age- 2
Bernese mountain dog
Personality- friendly to certain people, very protective, intelligent, agile, playful but also mature, hunter, and a tracker.

I hope you're just as excited as I am for this new member! (: