Chapter 72

I laid in bed, tangled up into the arms of the boy who loved me endlessly. He slept peacefully next to me, his face rested in the crook of my neck. I slowly move out of his arms, looking at him to make sure I don't wake him up. His sweaty hair stuck to his four-head, and his lips parted slightly, mumbling something as I completely removed myself from his arms. I grabbed my panties and my bra, quickly slipping them on.

"Babe..." Carl groaned from behind me. I turn around, slipping my shirt on in the process.

"Yes?" I ask quietly.

"Why are you leaving... already?" He says softly, sitting up in bed and rubbing his eyes.

"Because it's almost one in the morning, and I have to keep watch." I smile and slip on my jeans.

Car groans and runs his hands through his long hair, "Couldn't you just stay here and cuddle with me?" he pouts.

I chuckle and bend down, kissing him on the lips quickly, "We'll talk later, okay?"

Carl sighs and nods.

I smile and put my boots on, grab my jacket and walk out of the house.

Everything felt great, like everything was back to normal. Then I remembered, I left Jasper back at our house, alone, probably worrying about me.
My pace quickens, and it turns into a run. I run to the house we were staying in and opened the door, looking around and not seeing anyone. I walked upstairs, Jaspers door was closed. I walked toward the door, grabbed the handle then stopped.

Jasper wasn't alone. I heard the voices, heavy breathing, the moans. I put my ear closely to the door, and listened for a minute and noticed who it was. I smirked slightly, at least they're both out of mine and Carl's hair.
With that, I spun on my heels and walked downstairs, out the door, and to my guard post.

Rosita was at the post, waiting for me to get there. I climbed up the ladder "sorry I took so long, I was busy."

Rosita looks at me, "I see." She half smiles "so does this mean you two are all good now?"

"What?" My cheeks flush a bright red from embarrassment

"You and Carl, I'm not stupid. I saw that one chick go into your house and Jasper answered and they haven't been out since, I also noticed you come out of the Grimes household." Rosita chuckles

"Oh, yeah everything's good now." I cover my face, embarrassed at the conversation we were having.

"Don't worry, I won't tell anyone, have fun on watch!" Rosita laughs and climbs down the ladder. Leaving me alone now.

I sigh out in relief and sit down on the post, looking at the wall that was covered in walkers. The walls were strong, the walkers wouldn't be able to get in, at least not any time soon.
   Footsteps echo on the pavement behind me, and I hear someone climb up the ladder.

"Hey." I hear the same raspy voice from earlier say, and they sit down beside of me.

"Hi." I say, looking over at the same blue eyes I had met earlier. "What are you doing here, I figured you would be asleep."

"I was, then you woke me up and now I'm having a burst of energy." Carl half smiles.

I chuckle "sorry."

Carl smiles "it's alright, at least my night was well spent."

I blush and look back at the trees. Walker groans were kind of killing any type of mood I planned to have.

"You know, I'm glad you showed up at my door." Carl says quietly, "I know I was a dick earlier but then I realized something."

"What?" I ask, looking back at him.

"When you told me how sorry you were and why you left and everything... I knew something was up." Carl says, "you said I was happier with Ava... I'm not."

"Carl...." I say quietly.

"Im not, honestly. She's a bitch, I only got with her because I was upset and angry. I felt alone and I needed something, and that something just happened to be her." Carl groans slightly, "she's never been through any pain, maybe just the pain of living in a world like this, but she hasn't dealt with what the rest of us have. She's still got her family, they're all alive. The rest of us barely have anyone, or even no one at that matter."

I nod, listening to him.

"When I'm with her I just honestly want to cut my throat, or something like that; but with you I feel a lot happier. Noelle, I understand why you were always pushing me away. Which you did, don't lie."

I nod, "yeah."

Carl half smiles. "But I understand why, you were hurt... And you knew that you would hurt me... And you didn't want to do that. Now that I think about it all, I think you had the right to push me away. When you started opening up to me, you started to show me the real you. Every Time we fought or we were upset I felt horrible. I just wanted you to be happy, and when you left I felt like that was the only way you could be happy. That's why I didn't go after you. I couldn't. You needed to be alone, and it made you happy."

I nod, everything he was saying was true.

"I was upset about it, but I didn't go after you, I wanted you to be happy. Now that you're back, I'm so much happier about everything... you've made me so happy, even on the days we weren't happy together. You've grown up a lot too. You're more open, more expressive, it's nice... I'm happy that you're not afraid of anyone anymore... And Jasper helped you with that." Carl looks at his feet on the last part.

"Carl, Jasper was basically just my Ava. I used him for my own feelings, and right now he's up there fucking your girl and I couldn't be happier for him." I smile.

"Ava is not my girl." Carl says and looks at me, "you are."

I smile, "you're so cheesy, you know that Grimes?"

"Yeah." Carl smiles cheekily.

"So don't be upset over him, that's over, and I'm with you know, alright? You make me happy, even though it took awhile for me to see it, you do." I say, slowly with a smile.

Carl smiles and looks at me, "I love you."

"I love you too." I whisper to him, kissing his lips quickly.

Carl smiles and puts his hand over mine. I rest my head on his shoulder and look back at the trees.

           The day I had left, I was selfish and a complete bitch. I thought it was the only way to find my true happiness in life, and at the time it was so I could go far away and die. Now that I look back on everything, everything Carl has said to me, all of the things that have happened in my life... they've shaped me into a good person, it's helped me find my family, and the person I love. I found my home, and I found my happiness; and it was right here, with the people who have never left me, even when I left them. I found it, I found my happiness.

___________

I rarely update anymore, but we're getting closer to the end of the book! Hope you enjoyed this chapter!