Chapter 15

My mother had taken the whole weekend off, probably with the intent to sit around the house and make sure I never left. Fine by me, I had the whole friend group on the other side of my window. We had to worry about our volume at times, but other than that it was just like hanging out with them in the garage. 

When Monday rolled around, I was more than happy to get my ass out of the house, even if it was just for school. My mother had to work early, so I had free roam of the house without fears of an awkward bump in. 

Since I had never been given instructions about how I was getting to school that morning, I had just assumed I was walking. Until Bakugou's revving made me realize he was expecting me over there. I rolled my eyes at how obnoxious he could be, but slipped my shoes and backpack on and headed over. 

I walked across the yard, seeing Bakugou on his bike and Eijirou leaning against his truck. "Who am I riding with today, then?" I asked as I stepped onto the driveway. 

"Whoever you want," Bakugou said like it was obvious. 

"Wow, I get to make my own choice," I said in a condescending voice, sarcasm dripping from every syllable. 

My annoyed attitude seemed to sound alarm bells in Eijirou's head. "You okay, Izuku?" His tone was careful like he was talking to a biting dog. Since he was the resident Bakugou wrangler, I guess it made sense that it was his default. 

"Izuku?" Bakugou asked, looking over at the redhead. His tone and face were both level, as if he wasn't surprised at the name evolution that, apparently, took him a whole weekend to notice. 

I was expecting Eijirou to be a little more embarrassed by the question, he blushed pretty easily, but he just shrugged. "He said to use his first name since I knew his tragic backstory." 

Bakugou barked out a laugh, turning his red eyes back to me. "We all know your shitty backstory, you gonna give us all the pass?" 

It was a challenge, that much was obvious. I couldn't figure them out if I was being completely honest. Their dynamic confused me to no end. They butted heads constantly but always seemed to be on the same wavelength. I had never seen an oxymoron quite like them. 

"Nah, that right is reserved just for Eijirou," I shot back. 

"Picking favorites already, Deku?" he asked with a smirk as he put his helmet on. In the end, it seemed that he did decide who I rode with. 

I patted the top of his helmet as I walked past him to Eijirou's truck. "You're just mad you're not even in my top five." 

He scoffed but then seemed to think about my words for a second. I waited for the light bulb moment. 

"What the fuck? There's only five of us!" 

I laughed loudly, probably the loudest I'd laughed since moving, and shut the door. Eijirou slipped into the driver's seat right after, finding the interaction just as funny as I had. We broke into another round of laughter when Bakugou revved his bike and took off down the driveway. 

"So touchy," I said while looking out the window as he drove away. 

"Is he really not in the top five?" Eijirou asked, looking at me for only a second before his eyes were back on the road in front of us. 

"Wouldn't you like to know." 

He nodded, his crimson eyes flashing to me with amusement shining brightly. "I would, that's why I asked." 

"God, you sound like Todoroki." I chuckled at that thought. "The only difference is that he would have genuinely not understood the figure of speech."