Chapter 22

After school, I wasn't even given a choice. Ashido was dragging me by my wrist down the halls and out to the parking lot before I could even object. Kaminari had called shotgun as soon as we came into his line of sight, quickly climbing into Eijirou's truck, where the redhead was already behind the wheel.

"You suck," Ashido complained, stuck in the middle seat between me and Sero.

"Don't hate me just because you're too slow," Kaminari taunted from the passenger seat.

I didn't mind the seating situation. There was no way in hell I wanted to be stuck sitting next to Eijirou, even if the ride was only a few minutes. Sitting in the back hadn't stopped him from stealing glances at me through the review mirror that I pretended not to notice.

Soon enough, we were all in Bakugou's garage, the boys and Ashido debating what song was the highest on their list of priorities. Eijirou ultimately decided for the group, one of the songs they cover, Drugs and Candy by All Time Low. Apparently, they haven't played it in a few weeks and needed to refamiliarize themselves with it.

"Sounds good to me," Ashido said with a happy smile. "Have fun, boys." She flopped down on the couch next to me, her legs in my lap once again. It was how we regularly sat during practices at this point.

"You not in this one?" I asked her as the guitar and drumming started.

"Nope, this is all Kiri."

I turned to look at the singer but found him already watching me. Our eyes met and I was useless to try and turn away. I hated when gravity seemed to shift and I was stuck getting sucked into his orbit. Bakugou had the annoying habit of doing the same thing.

I can't take another hollow-point conversation
It's getting harder to fake
The sound of you, an outlasting vibration
There's something I can't shake

The sweetness of you on my tongue
I breathed you in, you filled my lungs
A bitter taste, surrender waste
Another weakness

I was trying my goddamn hardest to not read into the lyrics, but it was a little hard when Eijirou was singing them right at me. Why is he doing this? His boyfriend is right behind him.

You and me are like drugs and candy (drugs and candy)
Take one down for the young and easy (young and easy)
You've got me out of my head
I fill this space in your bed
High on the beat of a breakdown
'Cause you and me are like drugs and candy (drugs and candy)

And I don't wanna give it up

He finally had to drop his eyes to pay attention to what he was playing on the guitar. I took that as my cue to catch my breath. I hadn't realized I had started to hold it while he sang. Everyone else seemed too absorbed in their own worlds to have noticed that staring contest. Even Ashido had her eyes closed and was bopping her head along to the beat.

No I don't wanna give it up
(Drugs and candy)
You've got me out of my head
High on the beat of a breakdown

And I don't wanna give it up

The song came to an end and I was almost hoping to hear my mom's car. Anything for an excuse to run from the two pairs of blood-red eyes watching me carefully.

"Wow, it was great, just like it was the last time you played it," Ashido spoke, catching everyone's attention. I was glad when I felt their eyes finally shift to her. "Mido," her eyes finally opened and she wore a stern expression. "Tell Kirishima it was great and he needs to stop worrying that all their knowledge is just going to fall out of their heads. He never listens to me."