Chapter 16

"So, uh, how often does your mom check in on you at home?" 

It was Friday at lunch and Kaminari's question caught me completely off guard. I narrowed my eyes at him, immediately suspicious. I took another bite of the katsudon that Eijirou had shoved in front of me. Just like every other day that week, I was handed a lunch as soon as I sat down. My eyes had lit up when I saw what today's meal was, gushing about it being my favorite and the fact I hadn't had it in what felt like years. 

"What?" 

The blond deflated at my confusion. "Like... after she gets home from work, how often does she check to make sure you're still there?" 

My mouth formed into a small 'o' as realization hit. I chuckled at the question, remembering Shinsou asking me the same question a few years ago when we first became friends. "Pretty consistently until she falls asleep, but she's the heaviest sleeper I've ever met. I don't see her after like nine, unless she's working late, then she comes home at eleven, checks on me, and then passes out." 

"So we just have to wait until your mom falls asleep?" Sero was the one to ask, it seemed the whole group was paying attention to the conversation. 

I rested my chin onto my hand lazily. "Why're you plotting to break me out of my house?" 

Ashido excitedly took over the mic for the group, clapping her hands before answering. "We're going into the city tonight to go to a club!" 

I looked around the group, probably a little more shocked than I should be. "You all have fake I.D.s?" 

"How are you still surprised by that?" Eijirou asked, a chuckle escaping from him. 

"I just didn't expect it honestly, you guys are constantly catching me off guard." It wasn't a hard admission to make, they obviously weren't the worst high schoolers I had ever hung out with, but every time I hear about their juvenile escapades I get a little shocked. 

Ashido spoke up again, shrugging her shoulders while she did. "Bakugou didn't make that bet with you because we sit around knitting," she pointed out. 

I rolled my eyes playfully. "You wouldn't be the first people to talk a big game and then pussy out of skipping class, alright?" I couldn't help the look I shot over at Bakugou. 

There was practically steam coming out of his ears at my taunting gaze. "There's one class I won't skip, shut the fuck up!" 

I raised my hands in surrender. "I didn't even say anything!" 

He narrowed his eyes. "But you were thinking it." 

"Damn, got me there," I said with a laugh. 

"You don't skip any of your fucking class, so pipe down, nerd." 

 I looked at him like he was stupid. Maybe he was. "Do you want me to be forced into a boarding school?" 

Bakugou smiled at me in a patronizing way. "It's looking like a better and better option every day." 

Eijirou smacked him in the back of his head. "Dude, shut up." 

"My knight in shinning armor," I said in a mocking tone. "Thanks so much, Ei. I wouldn't have emotionally recovered from his jabs if you hadn't stepped in." The back of my hand was against my forehead, like I might faint at any time. 

"Oh, new nickname unlocked," Ashido cheered. 

Kaminari's arms were crossed and he was pouting. "I don't have one, that's totally not fair." 

I shook my head at him, a humored sigh falling from my lips. "I have nicknames for all of you, they're not very creative, but I have them." 

Kaminari's eyes lit up the second those words left my mouth. "What's mine? What's mine?" Ashido join in, pestering me about her nickname.