Chapter 42

Ashido, being Ashido, was more than willing to go along with my plan. She was making sure everyone was heading to Katsuki and Eijirou's after school (which wasn't very hard but still). She'd shoot me a text when they were there and then I would head over, or Himiko and I would head over. The blonde girl was refusing to leave my side for the foreseeable future.

"Are you nervous?" Himiko asked, breaking the tense silence of my living room. She was laying against the armrest of the couch, her feet in my lap as I sat on the other side.

I barely spared her a look. "Did that question seriously just leave your mouth? Of course I'm fucking nervous. They basically broke up with me yesterday, again, and now I'm going to ask them to be bait in order to catch my stalker who blew up my old high school. Yeah, I'm a little fucking nervous." I took a breath, trying to calm my racing heart.

"Feel better?" Her head tilted as she smiled at me knowingly.

I nodded, taking another breath. "Thank you," I said honestly. She knew I was about to snap from all the pressure, so instead of waiting for me to do it with the people I already have a strained relationship with, she took the hit.

I glanced down at my phone, seeing the go ahead text from Ashido. "Fuck, here we go," I mumbled to my best friend. She quickly popped up and grabbed my hand, dragging me to my front door. I couldn't tell if she was excited for the drama, or worried I'd back out.

The little blonde girl ended up pulling me all the way into the boys' garage, completely halting the practice that had previously been going on. All eyes were on us.

I gulped as my eyes darted between all of them. "I have to tell you all something, and trust me it's not an excuse or anything. I'd actually prefer if you all hated me by the end of this because that means you won't agree to the plan and you'll all be safe and okay and-"

"Izuku," Himiko said in a soft voice, breaking me out of my ramble.

"Oh," I said, taking a deep breath as I tried to gauge Eijirou's and Katsuki's expressions. "Shigaraki hasn't just been sending me death threats. He's been threatening all of you." I watched as everyone's eyes went a little wider at that information, besides Katsuki who had steeled his expression as soon as I walked in.

I took another breath, deciding to just stare at my hands instead of my friends. It was easier to talk when I couldn't see them. "He, uh, his favorite threat was making Katsuki roadkill, and I know him, I know he would do it. I couldn't tell any of you what he was saying or making me do." I paused again, tears starting to well up in my eyes.

"What did he make you do?" Katsuki's voice wasn't angry or loud, but it still made me flinch. I wasn't expecting him to speak up.

Another deep breath. "I'm the one that called the cops on Dabi's club."

A thick silence followed my confession. It appeared we were all waiting to see Eijirou's reaction.

"You're the one who got me arrested?" There was hurt in his voice, but there wasn't anger. I took that as a sign that we weren't doomed.

I finally looked up, wiping away a stray tear that had managed to fall. "I'd rather you be in jail than dead. I'm not going to apologize for it," I said firmly. He could hate me for it if he wanted to, that was something he could still do because Shigaraki hadn't killed him.

A look of confusion took over his face as he swung his guitar so it hung on his back. "You could have ruined my life, Izuku. Do you get that?"

"At least you still have a life!" I didn't mean to yell, but I was sick of everyone calling me selfish when all I had done since moving here was try to protect them. Over my own sanity, over my own life, I protected them. "You're the one that was yelling at me for not taking Shigaraki's threats seriously, well I was. I did a terrible thing to protect you, because I know what he's capable of. He doesn't have remorse, or respect for other people's lives. He would have killed you without a second thought. I have been playing some sick fucking game for weeks trying to make sure he doesn't turn his sights on everyone I care about. I won't apologize for putting your lives above mine." I was breathing hard and holding my ground. I was visibly shaking, from anger or anxiety, I didn't even know.