Prologue

Only the Prologue is in 3rd person's PoV. The Chapters are in the main characters' PoV.

~

[ P R O L O G U E ]

"Harder!" She yelled at the duo sparring in front of her, her voice ringing with authority, reverberating across the empty forest. She didn't use an Alpha command, but the two guys obediently pushed themselves to their limit, wanting to beat the other, and prove themselves to their Alpha.

The chilly morning air whipped across her, caressing her cheeks with their icy fingers. Her fiery red hair — which was usually tucked into a neat ponytail — blew in a flaming curtain, framing her face. A few rebellious curls teased her cheeks, tickling and curling around her neck. She would otherwise be extremely irritated and shove them in a bun, but being in the company of her two close confidants, she felt like she could be herself for a few minutes.

"My grandma could punch better than you." She taunted them, raising an unimpressed brow. This egged them on further and they huffed and puffed, throwing well-aimed blows at each other, trying to get the other one down.

She checked the box 'Agility' under both the men's names across the assessment sheet attached to the writing pad, she held. She then looked up to observe the next quality, 'Speed.'

The early morning sunlight that usually pierced past the canopy of trees and bathed everything in its orange glow, was absent today, with the thick blanket of dark clouds blocking it instead. She didn't mind the coldness, she enjoyed it actually because the coldness matched herself. The gloomy weather resembled the perpetual aura of darkness that always seemed to surround her, smothering her and suffocating her with its gray-black walls.

Contrary to popular belief, she didn't try to get rid of the darkness. She knew that she was born with this curse, and she was destined to be the way she is for the safety and the protection of her pack.

She embraced it actually and had long since stopped hoping for some miracle to happen, for something or someone to come and save her from herself.

She is the way she is.

Just then, the taller man threw a right upper-cut, his fist slamming hard into the shorter one's midriff. He moaned low in pain, and his back crashed brutally to the muddy ground in the impact of the blow. The taller man blew his knuckles and stood erect, with a small, but a rare smile of satisfaction gracing his stoic features.

"Alpha." He nodded, waiting for her cue.

She nodded back and slid her graphite-colored eyes to the thick cover of the forest; in the direction of the habituated territory, indicating that he is dismissed. He gave a small ritualistic bow and turned around to leave, but then she called his name.

"Jonathan?" Her voice was hard; sharp like the edge of a pointed blade.

"Yes, Alpha?" He responded as he turned around, his tone professionally polite.

"Is the Western boundary well guarded?" She questioned, and the Head of Warriors knew immediately what her actual question was. Considering her rivalry with the Kyler pack and the huge fight that took place in her school the previous year with the other pack's Alpha and his cronies, her constant worry that he might try to stir something up, was justified.

"Yes, Alpha. If there are any sightings, I'll be sure to inform you." Jonathan acquitted, assuring his Alpha. He was the best Warrior in their Pack, in the country itself to be accurate, just like his father, and his. Jonathan knew that his Alpha was under a lot of emotional turmoil, dealing personal with issues unknown to anyone — except maybe her friend, the Beta — and he strived his hardest to be the best and take some of the weight off her position.