Chapter 9 - "I'll Be Around Here Somewhere, Fading Into The Background."

DEDICATED TO ShadeBladez.

Chapter 9 - I'll Be Around Here Somewhere, Fading Into The Background

"Nora, I—" I start, but she shakes her head rapidly, turning away from me.

"No, No, Mike. I get it. You are her Mate. You have to be with her and rule her Pack and be an awesome Aleph. I understand. I'll just pine for a Mate somewhere, while watching my best and only friend pant after a girl, forgetting his friend who had his back for the last ten years. It's okay, Mike. I'll just get over it. Don't mind me, okay? I'll be around here somewhere, fading into the background." She snaps, each word a stab, poking my guilty conscience. She gives me a disgusted look over her back, shoulders her back pack higher, and stalks away.

I stand with my mouth parted, words caught on my throat, feeling like complete and utter shit.

What just happened?

'Your best friend bit your head off for no reason at all, That's what happened.' My Wolf answers, hurt just as I am.

"I'm so sorry, Nora." I whisper after her back, realizing how horrible I've been to her, in the two days I've found my Mate. In my excited, cloud nine mood, I've completely ignored her and talked about my Mate for the little time I actually spent with her, all the while she'd been wishing for a Mate as well.

Sigh.

I stand numbly, my mind revolving around the vow I'd made to myself to keep my best friend happy, no matter what. But now, she's hurt because of me.

I laugh humorlessly at that.

It seems like whomever I'm surrounded by, whoever I love gets hurt or saddened due to me.

First my Mom, now Nora, and in the future, it will be Seneca looking at me with the same hurt and disappointed eyes.

I don't know if I will be able to bear it if it's my Mate looking at me like that. It will truly break me.

I swallow a lump in my throat and look around, only now realizing that the parking lot is empty. Guess I'm late to Mr. Devon's AP Maths class.

With that as the last thought in my mind, I rush towards Building C, dreading his lengthy lecture on the importance of punctuality.

⇥⇤

Ten minutes later, after Mr. Devon making me regret ever coming late to his class with his infamous speech, I rush to an empty chair in the second row, with a small sigh. I pull out my textbook, a note, and a pencil, not meeting anyone's laughing glances as I do so.