Chapter 40 - "Playing The Martyr Now?"

CHECK OUT THE NEW TRAILER BY Qxeen_Nyah_Modern CAGERS!!!!!!👆🏼

OMG!!!!! #16 IN WEREWOLF!!!!!!! U GUYS ROCKKKK!!!!!!

THANK U SOOOOOO MUCH EVERYONE!!!!!!!

* * *

Chapter 40 - "Playing The Martyr, Now?"

Micajah Rye's PoV:

I'm floating in a state of nothingness, not able to comprehend where I am, or why I'm stuck in this dreamlike state.

It was then, I hear her melodic voice first.

"Cage . . . Do you remember the time when we first met? I can't describe how I felt the first time I saw you . . . y'know? It was like—like, everything fell into place at that moment. Until then, I was just existing, pushing through the motions of life and leading the Pack the best I could . . . " She takes a deep breath, "But I'd always felt like there was no one who could really understand me and be with me for who I am—well, Ezra is, but it's kind of mandatory for him, it's not something he can escape from—anyway, at that second, when I saw you lying on the ground, looking at me with those big blue eyes, scared, yet somehow confident that I wouldn't hurt you, I just knew that I'd fall for you. Hell, I fell hard the instant I laid eyes on you . . . and you were there, just looking at me with such hope, with so much happiness and affection despite the things you'd been through and I'd felt like the biggest failure."

What? No, Seneca, you're most definitely not a failure!

"Because . . . well, it was clear that you'd suffered a lot more that bullying, I could tell you were a fighter, because if it weren't for your attitude, you wouldn't have been able to retain that hope and smile in a way that makes me weak in the knees every time I see you. And to think that I'd been through something hard as well, but had only managed to be a tenth of the human you are, I'd felt so ashamed. That was only for a split-second, before I felt pride. Pride that I'd had such a strong Mate, a Mate who refused to go down without a fight. . . " She trails off, and I can almost envision in my head the small nostalgic smile pulling up the corners of her lips. I then hear a heavy exhale, the single breath loaded with so much emotion.

"I wasn't used to expressing much, but even then, if Lenora hadn't come barging in and breaking the moment, I might've done something stupid like throwing you against the wall and ravishing you . . . And that scared me shitless, because in my 18 years, I'd never felt an emotion or a pull so strong that constantly warred with my self-control, and that just made me angry on everything. The second I yelled at you and Lenora in front of the whole Cafeteria, I regretted it. She was wrong on her part, she shouldn't have provoked me, but she was your friend, and you deserve to do whatever you want, but I couldn't bring myself to apologize, my ego was too big for that. But now, I want to apologize for it. I'm sorry, Cage . . . I'm so so sorry."

'Stop apologizing, you idiot!' I want to yell, but my mouth is sealed shut, and my senses are under chains, and I can't seem to move anything. It's like I'm underwater, my brain disconnected from my body, and I can't do anything except listen, listen to my Mate opening up for the first time.

"When you said that you wanted to become strong, I was so proud of you, I wanted to boast about my Mate to everyone—and when you punched Ezra the first time, the sound was like heaven to my ears. Because you'd finally did it, proved that you weren't what everyone thought you were. And I was so happy, because I was right about you. You were, indeed born to be a leader."