Chapter One

Taraji's POV

Taraji's POV

My eyes were growing heavy from reading over the script in my hand again and again, but I couldn't put it down for some reason. In my 20+ years of acting, I never saw myself being apart of the remake of the Broadway adaptation of "The Color Purple". When my agent sent me the script and told me that Blitz Bazawule and Oprah Winfrey were specifically seeking me out to take on the role of Shug Avery, I thought that it was a twisted joke. This will be my first studio film in a long time. For the past year or so, I've been solely focused on my haircare line and my mental health foundation that I created in honor of my late father, Boris Lawrence Henson. I don't know how I should feel about making a return to the big screen, especially with a character like Shug Avery. This opportunity is both intriguing and terrifying all at once. I want to run away from it, and yet I feel so drawn to it at the same time. I always have made it a point to take on roles that scare me.

I'm hearing that Fantasia Barrino Taylor will be playing Celie, and Danielle Brooks will be playing Sophia. I must admit that I am a huge fan of both women. I have seen Danielle in passing at different industry events, but I have never once come across Fantasia. I am amongst her 5.4 million followers on Instagram, but that is as far as my relationship with her goes. If I do decide to jump on board with this project, it will be interesting to see how well I mesh with the two ladies. One of my favorite things about acting has always been the opportunity it provides to make lifelong connections with people who share the same passion for the arts, yet come from such a different walk of life. I just don't know how I feel about the politics of the film and tv industry anymore. Being a black woman in Hollywood has never been easy and it never will be, but with everything that I have accomplished in my career, the pay that I am being offered is degrading and insulting. It's something that I can't stand for, and I can't stay silent about it any longer. The financial stress is beginning to overshadow my passion, and once my passion is gone, so is my life as an actress. I have blazed trails for the black actresses coming up behind me, but now my fire is slowly burning out. Retirement has been heavy on my mind.

As if the universe was trying to crack a joke on me, my phone began to vibrate with a call from Blitz. He's going to want to know my decision, but I have no idea what it is. I chewed my acrylic thumb nail, pressing accept.

Blitz: Hello, miss Taraji!

Taraji: Hi, Blitz.

Blitz: How are you doing today?

Taraji: I'm good. What about yourself?

That was a complete lie. I wasn't good at all. I was a bundle of nerves and anxiety, but I wouldn't be a good actress if I didn't know how to lie every once in awhile.