Chapter Eighty One

Fantasia's POV

Fantasia's POV

Ever so often I would glance up at Dallas through the rearview mirror while I was driving, watching him play on his iPad. He's 12 years old, so I feel like he's old enough to know at least a little bit about what's going on with me and Kendall. I just hope that it doesn't upset him too much, because I know that he has built a strong bond with him over the years. They clicked from the very first time that I felt comfortable introducing Kendall to him. He'll most likely be angry and hurt, but eventually he will understand that this is for the best. That's my hope, anyway.

Fantasia: Dallas, have you noticed Kendall acting different lately?

Dallas: Kinda, but I didn't want to say anything.

Fantasia: Why not?

Dallas: I didn't want to mess things up for you guys. You finally seemed happy with him, and I didn't want to ruin that.

Fantasia: Well baby, the truth is that I haven't been happy with him for awhile now. He's not himself nowadays. I don't know who he is, but he's not someone that I'm comfortable being around, and I don't much less want you and Keziah to be around him. Does that upset you?

Dallas: It makes me a little sad because I have gotten really close to him, but I know that you wouldn't make a decision that would purposely hurt me. Is that why we're going to grandma's house?

Fantasia: Yes. He's not safe to be around anymore. The fact that our marriage is falling apart is messing with him mentally, and he doesn't know how to process it all in a reasonable way. He's been lashing out verbally and psychically.

Dallas: Psychically? He put his hands on you?

I looked away from him and put my eyes back on the road, too ashamed to confirm what he was already thinking. It's embarrassing. I tell Dallas all the time that hitting girls is wrong and that he would get into a world of trouble if he ever did that, yet I stayed with Kendall after he slapped me and choked me out more times than I can count. I don't know why I never thought of him as an abuser, maybe it's because I put my hands on him unprovoked as well, but either way it goes it is extremely toxic and I can't keep my kids around that anymore. What kind of mother would I be if I allowed it to continue?

Dallas: He did, didn't he? Man fuck that pussy nigga!

Fantasia: Dallas! I appreciate you defending me, but you know I don't allow you to curse.

Dallas: Sorry ma.

I reached my hand back and squeezed his with a small smile on my face to let him know that it was ok. I wanted to laugh, but that would only encourage him. As I pulled into Taraji's driveway, I could see Dallas staring at me in confusion.