Chapter Ninety Five

Taraji's POV

Taraji's POV

After taking Fantasia back home, I spent a few extra hours with her and her kids until it was time for me to have lunch with my mom and Tempest. I decided to hold our little meeting at my house because it's neutral ground. I had made Maryland crab dip with homemade garlic baguette slices and charbroiled oysters for them, and I made a vegan spinach dip with boneless cauliflower wings for healthier options that would still hopefully make them happy enough to talk to each other without getting unnecessarily angry and hostile. It's honestly my mom that I'm worried about, not Tempest. Before my mom would show up, I decided to have a conversation with Tempest about her getting a job. I plan to sell my house when I get an offer worth taking, so that I can move in with Fantasia into our forever home, but I have no idea where that leaves Tempest. She was helping me with the spinach dip when I decided to open the floor for the conversation.

Taraji: What did you do yesterday? You could have joined me for dinner at Fantasia's. I feel bad that you spent Christmas alone.

Tempest: Don't feel bad. It was my choice. I spent the day looking for a job.

Taraji: Oh, you did? Did you find one?

Tempest: Yeah, but you're not gonna like it.

Taraji: What makes you say that?

Tempest: Because it's at a strip club. Pynk Flame. I'm just gonna be a bottle girl, but still...

Taraji: You're a grown woman Tempest. I can't tell you where to work. As long as you're trying to get something for yourself, and you're doing it the legal way, I don't see anything wrong with it. You're still in your 20's and you're beautiful. I think you would make good money as a bottle girl.

Tempest: I guess I just don't want you to be ashamed of me. You've accomplished so much greatness, and even though you're my sister, it feels like you're royalty. The whole world knows by now that we're sisters. I just don't want to embarrass you.

She stared down at the floor, nervously fiddling with her fingers. I tucked my hand under her chin and lifted her head up, forcing her to look at me instead of the floor.

Taraji: I could never be embarrassed or ashamed of you. Fuck what the world thinks. You can't compare yourself to me. We have had two totally different upbringings under two totally different circumstances. Only you can take your own journey, and you have to decide for yourself what you want your journey to look like without outside influence or interference.

Tempest: I can't help but to compare myself to you. You're everything that I want to be.

She was being so authentic and fearlessly raw with me that I felt like I had to return the favor. I want her to know that her past doesn't define her, and just because her life doesn't look as glamorous as mine doesn't mean that it isn't worth living to the fullest.