Chapter Twelve

Fantasia's POV

Fantasia's POV

Kendall ended up having to cancel our date because of something that came up at his job, so I decided to text Taraji and let her know that I could hang out with her after all. When she didn't answer the five text messages I had sent her, I called her. When my call went straight to voicemail, I called Dani and asked her if she had spoken to Taraji, but she said that she hadn't heard from her. I figured that maybe she was just napping or doing something important, but I called her one last time just to make sure. This time, she finally did answer.

Fantasia: Hey, T. If you're not busy we can-

I was cut off by the sound of banging, followed by a scream that I knew belonged to Taraji, and a booming voice that sounded like it belonged to a man. I was so startled by it that I fully jumped up off of the couch. My eyebrows pushed together in confusion and fear as I called Taraji's name over and over again, but all I heard in return was movement. I never once heard her voice. Something is very wrong. I went back and forth in my mind, wandering if I should call the police, just go check on her myself, or both. Calling the police might draw attention that Taraji doesn't want, but if something really is wrong then the police will be much needed. I couldn't just sit around waiting for the perfect plan to come to me while Taraji was potentially in danger, so I just cleared my head and got into my car. Whatever is going on with her, we can figure it out together. I just hope I'm not too late.

From the outside of her house, nothing seemed to be wrong. No windows were broken into, and her car was the only vehicle in the driveway. It appeared that she was alone, but looks can be dangerously deceiving. I rang the doorbell until my finger hurt from pressing down, but nobody answered. Panic quickly set in, and I began to pound on the door. There was still no response. Think, Tasia, think! I'm a stroke of genius, I lifted her welcome mat up and found what I was looking for. I used the spare key to open the door. I tiptoed inside, looking around every corner with every timid step that I took.

Fantasia: Raj, it's me, Tasia. I just came by to check on you because you weren't answering your phone. Are you ok? Raj?

The only response to me calling out her name was the soft echo of my own voice. The worst thoughts were racing through my mind. I wrapped my arms around myself, suddenly feeling cold. It felt wrong walking through her house like this, like I was overstepping a major boundary. Everything was in perfect order. It was almost as if I had just imagined Taraji screaming on the phone. I slowly ascended the stairs, my hand gripping the banister so hard that my knuckles faded to white. Her bedroom door was wide open. When I walked in, I found her with her back turned to me as she was staring at herself in her body mirror. She was only wearing her bra and panties. Her state of undress allowed me to see the fresh bruises on her spine and the back of her thighs. Her face was even worse, as if whoever did this to her was trying to kill her confidence. Looking at her, the only thing that came to mind was Rihanna's face after Chris Brown. She was stitching up her own busted eyebrow with a needle and a thread. I just stood there, too stunned to move or speak. I guess I was too late after all.