review #64.S3: Roses Are Red

Roses Are Red

Author: TateBooks16
Reviewer: AnnikaNofal

▂▂▂▂▂▂▂
SYNOPSIS

"Your mine," His voice is husky as he looks down at me. I shake me head and take a step back from him only to make contact with the wall behind me.

"I'm not yours," I say, surprised that my voice doesn't shake. His hand comes up to touch my face and I immediately flinch away.

"You were always mine, you just never realized it."

********************************

Cleo was born into a royal family, she thought she was normal but when her family realizes that she doesn't carry the family magic they leave her to die in a sewer.

She is found and sold at an auction. Cleo has heard story's about what happens to some of the girls that are sold and she cant help but worry about her survival.

When she sees her buyer she realises that survival might be impossible because her buyer is none other than the serial killer Leo Arden.

What happens though when Cleo realizes that Leo might not be as he seems?

▂▂▂▂▂▂▂

Title: I don't understand how the title has anything to do with the book. From what I've read, this story has nothing to do with roses. My next guess is that the author chose it because 'red' is the color of blood, and so are roses. I recommend changing the title to something more fitting for the story. This book is about romance and magic, which is something the title doesn't execute.

Cover: I'm going to be blunt here. It looks like someone took a photo off Pinterest and slapped the smallest font they could find on it and then called it a book cover. I'm positive I've seen this photo on that site before, which if you aren't careful, could end up being a lawsuit. Photos have to be licensed by the person using them unless the photographer explicitly states that the photo is free to all which is hard to know if you're getting it off Pinterest, and it's a risk I personally wouldn't take.

I can barely read the title with how small the font is, and the font that's used makes it appear blurry. The title also doesn't need to be on the cover twice. Next, the author's name should always be on the cover. You want it to look intriguing and professional. While you didn't make your cover, it's important that you don't settle. This is your brand, and it's what will draw readers in before anything else. Lastly, the photo used screams 'romance' and considering this is also a fantasy book, this should be incorporated into your cover as well. I personally prefer object-based covers, or typography for Fantasy.

Blurb: My feelings on your blurb are a little all over the place. I like what you tried to do with it, and for people who read most of their books on Wattpad, it could work. But...no one wants their book labeled in such a way that makes it sound insulting.

There are several grammatical and punctuation errors going on here. If I pointed them all out, this review would be way too long. I will go over some of the grammatical errors later, however.

Next, my main issue with the blurb is that it feels like it's being summarized to us almost like an essay. A blurb is meant to be a hook where you briefly describe the point of your story and the journey that your protagonist has to embark on to reach her goal. You're actually spoiling the story in your blurb for the readers. We don't need to know immediately that Cleo gets sold before we even open the book.