Chapter 2

Andy's POV
-------------------
As soon as we got off stage they took me to the nearest E.R. A nurse rushed me into a bed and closed the curtain after telling me that a doctor would be right with me.

The curtain wasn't closed all the way and I saw a curly haired Korean young female doctor talking to another medium length, burgandy colored straight haired woman. They were talking to an older African American man and then started arguing by themselves. A while later the curly haired doctor walked away and the dark red haired one walked to the front desk.

The curtains opened and the red haired doctor was walking backwards reading my medical chart with a nurse by her side. She turned around, still looking at the chart and I couldn't believe who it was.

"Hello, I'm Dr. Reed, I'm going to be treating you today." She looked up and we just stared at each other.

"Hey, Cath." I sighed and pain shot through me.

-----------------
Cath's POV
-----------------

"Damn it." I looked at his chart and looked at the name for the first time. Biersack, Andrew. I don't know why I didn't bother looking at it before coming to him. "Start an IV and push 5 of morphine. Let's get some X-rays to see what's going on and how to treat it." I told the nurse beside me.

I turned to look at Andy. "Mr. Biersack, we will have to take a chest CT to make sure there's no damage to your lungs. I don't know what happened but that must've been a hell of a fall." I tried to talk to him like I would talk to all my patients.

"'Mr. Biersack'? And Yea it was I jumped off--"

"I don't actually care." I whispered to him so the nurse couldn't hear. He looked hurt but I couldn't care less. I just had to do my job, I wasn't there to make small talk.

Again I turned to the nurse, "Page Ortho and would you give us a minute?" She nodded and left. "The drugs should kick in in a bit." I took the portable CT scan from beside the bed. I put on the protective vest and put a protective blanket on Andy from the waist down.

"So, how have you been?" Andy asked.

"Look Andy, you are really the last person I wanted to see right now, or ever. I'm just doing my job. I'm gonna fix you, send you home and forget all about you again." We both stayed quiet after that.

A couple of minutes later the rest of the guys walked in from outside the curtain.

"Cath?!" They all said in unison.

CC was the first one to hug me and then the rest joined.

"Hi guys." I smiled. God how I missed them. After they pulled away from the hug they went to talk to Andy. I took off the vest and went to get the X-rays. I walked back to the bed and put them up to the lightbox that hung over the bed to see what was going on.

"Look at you Cath! You're a doctor!" Ashley said.

"Surgeon actually." I got the small ultrasound machine and lifted up Andy's shirt-- we hadn't gotten him gowned yet.

"What's that?" Jake asked.

"Ultrasound machine." I said as I squirted the gel on Andy's side. He winced a bit.

"Ultrasound? Is he pregnant?" Ashley said and all the guys laughed.

"Actually they can be used to search for internal bleeding. Not just to see a baby." I said.

"Internal bleeding? Is everything okay?" Andy asked while I moved the machine around.

"Well you have 3 broken ribs and the damage seems to be extensive. I'm worried one of the ribs punctured your lung." Still looking at the machine I confirmed my suspicions. I got the attention of the nearest nurse, "page Cardio and Ortho please we might have a punctured lung," I said loud enough so only we could hear.

"What's wrong?" Jinxx asked.

I ignored his question because my patient always comes before the family. "Andy do you feel like its hard to breath?" I asked him

"Yea but I'm guessing its cause of the broken ribs right?"

"Something like that." I said.

Dr. Torres from Ortho and Dr. Burke, Cardio, were walking over.

I walked over to them before they could get to Andy's bed. "I think we might have a punctured lung. I wanted to get a second opinion. I used the ultrasound machine but the bone fragments made it hard to read. The Xray shows that a rib is poking a lung I don't know if it punctured it though." I said.

Doctor Torres looked at Andy's chart and walked over to him. "Hi guys I'm Dr. Callie Torres, can I examine Andrew for a minute?" Everyone nodded .

"Would you guys mind waiting in the waiting room? We will keep you posted about Andy's situation." I said. They all nodded again and left.

"Yea. Definitely a punctured lung. Good news is, you caught it early and we didn't have to put in a chest tube, Reed. Good job. I'll go get an O.R. ready and I'll scrub in with you." She turned to Andy. "Andy, you have a small puncture in your lung. It doesn't seem to be anything to panic about, we will get you into surgery immediately and Dr. Reed will fix the injury. No problem." I didn't know what to say. All I've done is scrub in, manage suction. I had never gotten the opportunity to lead a procedure.

I pulled Dr. Burke and Dr. Torres to the side. "I am going to do the procedure? Me?"

"I feel like you're ready. What do you think Dr Burke?" Dr. Torres asked.

"I feel the same way you do Callie." He said.

They both looked at me waiting for me to say something.

"I'm ready. I-I-I'm more than ready." I said.

"Great." Dr. Torres smiled.

"Dr. Torres will still be there in case you need help. But you will be the one in charge of that O.R. remember that." Dr. Burke said.

They both left and I went to explain the surgery to the guys while a nurse got Andy prepared for surgery.

Once Andy was ready I helped wheel his gurney to the operating room.

On our way there Andy grabbed my hand. "Is everything going to be okay? Tell me everything is going to be okay and this is just a small thing." He looked scared so I tired to ease him.

I lightly squeezed his hand and looked at him. "I've seen this procedure be done a thousand times. I can do it in my sleep. I won't let anything happen to you in that O.R., in my O.R. Do you trust me?"

"I couldn't think of a better doctor to trust." He smiled and we got him into the operating room. The anesthesiologist injected anesthesia into his IV.

"Okay Andy now, count backwards from 15 for me." I said.

"Okay.
15,
14,
13,
12,
11,
10.
9.
8.
7...
6...
5...
4..."

He closed his eyes and I went to scrub in.
------------------------------------------------------
Haiiii omg I'm so excited, I think this will be a better book. For those of you wondering, I will mention the baby later. Comment predictions I love seeing what you guys think/wish would happen next!