Chapter 8

Andy's POV
-------------------
I laid back on the bed relieved to be back on the mattress. Although it wasn't comfortable I was tired of walking around the hospital, especially with my side hurting every time I took a deep breath.

Not long after Cath walks in fixing her shirt and hair.

"Where were you? The nurse told me you weren't here when she came to give you lunch. And where's your gown?" She asked.

"Where's your white coat?" I asked with an eyebrow raised.

"Whatever." Cath knew that I knew what she had been doing so she rolled her eyes. It did bother me that she was with another guy, it made my insides burn up. "You can't be wondering around the hospital like that. I'm your doctor, you're my patient, and that makes me responsible for you. Its my ass on the line." Cath said angrily.

"Okay okay. Got it." I said trying to get her to stop yelling at me.

"I hope so."

*next day*

It was already day 5, I don't know why I'm not out of here yet. I mean, I do still have pains but I'm fine. But I guess I don't mind right now. I get to see Beth again which is the absolute highlight of my day.

I woke up at 11 am and decided I would go down to the daycare again. I got there and talked to the teacher before going to Beth.

I was about 5 feet away from her when she ran to me and wrapped her tiny arms around my legs. "You came back!" Beth almost yelled.

"Yea I did. What are you doing right now?" I asked.

"Well I was building a tower. Can you help me?" She was wearing a black shirt with a glittery black cat on it and white shorts with little black converse today. She still had the bandage on.

"Sure." We sat down and started stacking up Lego's into a rectangular tower. "Does that hurt?" I asked pointing to her forehead.

"Yea, a little." She said and continued to build her tower.

"I got hurt too you know? I broke 3 ribs and your mom had to operate on me." I said.

"How do you know my mom?" She asked casually.

"We were very good friends a long time ago." I said.

"How long?"

"About 5 years ago." I said.

"Oh." Was all she said before going back and building another tower next to the one we finished.

After a while I asked her, "I don't see you with other kids very often. Do you hang out with your friends?"

"No. I don't really have any. But I like being alone. But I also like talking with you." She said.

"Well those kids don't know what they're missing out on." I said and gently pinched her chubby cheek which caused her to burst into laughter.

We stayed quiet for a moment.
I had to ask, I didn't know if it was the right thing to do, but I had to. "What do you know about your dad?"

"Well mommy doesn't tell me a lot about him. When I ask her about him she gets mad and cries sometimes so I don't ask anymore. All I know is that he's a singer, just like I want to be. Mommy said he was really famous, but I don't know who he is."

"Andy!" I turned around to look at Cath standing on the doorway.

"I have to go, Beth." I said.

"No, stay!" Beth said.

"Andy what the hell are you doing?!" Cath said approaching me.

"I'm just talking with Beth." I stood up, now towering Cath.

"You can't do that." She whisper-yelled.

"Yes I can."

"Is this where you were yesterday?" She asked.

"Mom, Andy's my friend now too!" Beth said. Both Cath and I looked down at her while she stared up at us smiling and I gave her a small smile back.

"You have no right to be here." Cath said quietly.

"Yes I do."

"No you--"

"I'm her dad of course I do!" I said a little too loud.

Cath's eyes grew wide and we both looked at Beth. She heard us, I was sure of it and she had a look of confusion in her eyes.

"No, you are not. She may have your DNA, but you are not her dad. I am. I have raised her, I have been both her mom and her dad for this long, you haven't. You are not her dad. Family doesn't end in blood." Cath said and took Beth's hand. "Come on sweety, let's go get some ice cream and take the day off."

"But mom.. Is he my dad? Andy's my dad?" Beth stayed in her place and looked up at Cath waiting for an answer.

"Come on Beth, let's go, we can watch a movie, any movie you want." Cath said trying to convince Beth to go with her again.

"No!!" Beth said almost crying. I felt hopeless, but what could I do?

"Bethany Ann Reed, I'm not going to ask you again, come with me." Cath said angrily.

"No!" Beth let go of Cath's hand and held on to my leg. "Tell me!"

Cath's sighed, "Beth..."

"Tell me!"

"Yes, okay. Yes. He is." Cath sat down in one of the tiny chairs and put her head in her hands.

"Mommy, why didn't you tell me before?" Beth asked.

"I can't do this here. I can't talk about this here." Cath said.

"You know what, you said I could go home after a couple of days if I was doing better, I'm fine. Can you discharge me and we can go get some ice cream together and explain everything to Beth." I said putting a hand on Cath's shoulder. She shrugged it off and stood up, wiping under her eyes.

"We are not going to go get ice cream like a big happy family. I have work. Why don't the two of you go and you can tell her why you haven't been a part of her life." She said and pushed passed me angrily. She whispered something to the teacher.

The teacher soon came over to us with what I'm guessing was Beth's small pink and black backpack and put it on Beth's shoulders. "You two have fun." She said to us.

Beth grabbed my hand and I lead her to my hospital room where I had to get all my stuff.

Once we entered the discharge papers were on the bed. I was already dressed with the clothes from yesterday so I just grabbed my phone and other stuff there. I sent a text to the guys and Juliet telling them I had been discharged.

I signed the papers and took them to the nurse at the counter and she handed me my belongings.

We walked out of the hospital and I had to call a cab because I didn't have a car to drive to the ice cream place.

We got to a small ice cream parlor and we went inside after I paid the cab driver.

Before getting our ice cream Beth turned to me. "You didn't tell me you were my dad. Why didn't you tell me?"
------------------------------------------------------
I didn't know how to end this chapter ughh. Was it good? I honestly have no idea, I feel like this is getting boring. :(