Chapter 14

Cath's POV
------------------
They say life doesn't give you second chances. But we do. Surgeons do. You break a bone, we put it back together. You bleed, we stop it. You flatline...we resuscitate you. But as much as we give people second chances, surgeons don't usually get them because the kind of mistakes we make are sometimes impossible to recover from.

"What's wrong? What happened, is she okay?!" We got to the hospital as fast as we could. The first person I saw was Cristina. Next to her Dr. Hunt was wearing his OR gear; cap, gown, shoe covers.

"Cath..." Cristina looked at me with sadness in her eyes.

Dr. Hunt intervened, "Cath, we need to talk."

We sat down on the chairs of the waiting room, Andy next to me and Cristina and Dr. Hunt across from where I was sitting.

"We did everything we could..." Dr. Hunt started.

"No. No! No no no no." Tears fell from my eyes.

"I'm so sorry for your loss..." Dr. Hunt said.

"What happened? How did-- what happened in that O.R. room?!" I asked.

"Your mom's liver collapsed and with all the injuries she had... There was a tear already in her aortic valve and--" Dr. Hunt got cut off by Cristina.

"And they let me fix it. Or try to fix it. I'm so sorry, I thought I could do it but the stitches wouldn't hold, the valve kept tearing. The tissue was too weak--"

"You let a resident operate on my mother?!" I got up, angry with tear stained eyes.

"Cath, Dr. Yang is very talented. It wasn't her fault, your mom's heart was--"

"I know I know! But you put my mom's life in a resident's hands... What the fuck were you thinking Dr. Hunt?!"

"Her organs were already failing, there wasn't a lot we could do. Even if we fixed her heart she wouldn't have survived!" Cristina said.

"YOU DONT KNOW THAT!You don't know that..." I yelled. Andy got up and wrapped his arms around me, bringing me to sit back down. I sobbed into his chest, sitting on his lap he still towered over me.

Cristina and Dr. Hunt left and it was just us and a couple of other people waiting for news or information about their loved ones.

I stopped crying and wiped my eyes. "I should probably call Danny. Can you pick Beth up?" I asked Andy.

"Sure. Yea." He kissed my forehead before leaving. This whole day I had forgotten we weren't together. I had forgotten we weren't a big happy family, I forgot he had a girlfriend. I forgot he chose his work over me. And for a moment, I felt normal. I felt full, complete... Safe.

I got out my phone and called my brother to talk about something I wish I never had to.

------------------
Andy's POV
------------------

I picked up Beth from the daycare and we walked back together to the waiting room. On the way there she was showing me the new macaroni art she had done with the class.

We approached Cath and she was still on the phone.

"Yea. Okay, Yea no problem. You can stay at my house. Beth misses you so much she's going to be so happy seeing you. We have a lot to talk about too. Okay. Okay, bye." She smiled weakly at Beth and Beth ran to her.

"Was that grandma?! Will I finally get to see her?!" Beth asked.

There was a long moment of silence and I thought Cath was going to burst into tears again, but she didn't. She grabbed Beth's hands and sat down.

"Honey," Cath said, "Grandma can't come to see you anymore."

Beth's smile faded and she looked confused. "Why? She promised she would come and we could meet each other for real..."

"Beth," I walked over to where they were talking, trying to help Cath out so she wouldn't have to tell Beth. "Your grandma... She isn't coming back. She came here to visit you and tell you she loves you but...there was an accident. Beth, sweetheart, do you know what death is?" She nodded starting to tear up. "Well...I'm sorry...your grandma, she isn't coming back but she wanted you to know that she loves you and she's right here with you," I put her hand over her heart,"right there, wherever you are, and wherever you go."

Cath was hiding behind my shoulder trying to hold back sobs.

*the next day*
-------------------
Cath's POV
-------------------
Beth and I went to the airport to pick Daniel up. As soon as we saw him Beth ran to him and hugged his legs. "Uncle Danny!!"

"Hey there Bug!" He said and ruffled her hair.

He let go of his luggage and hugged me, Beth still embracing his legs. "How are you? You okay?"

"Yea. We're fine." I said with a weak smile.

Danny grabbed Beth and propped her up on his shoulders. She sat on his shoulders with her hands holding on to his head and her hands occasionally covered his eyes playfully, making her giggle.

We walked to the Impala and Danny asked if he could drive.

"Fine, just be careful with my baby." I said patting the hood of the car.

"Ah of course." Danny rolled his eyes. He got into the drivers seat after buckling Beth in. "Wow, you've kept her in good condition." He said looking around.

"Of course!" I said.

We got to the house and as soon as the door opened Beth and Danny ran in, Danny chasing Beth, like little kids. I laughed and shook my head. My phone rang and I saw it was Andy.

(Bold is Cath italics are Andy)

"Hello?"

"Hey! Are you home? I have to talk to you."

"Uh, Yea but I don't think--"

"Okay I'll be there in thirty minutes."
------------------------------------------------------

981 words...good enough lmao I'll update hopefully tomorrow by idk cause I'm going to HOT TOPIC WITH FRIENDS AHHHHH

On another note.... My baby cousin was born today !!!!! Omg he's so small he's 5 pounds and cries A LOT. Anyway, I tell you guys that cause I ment to update early today but we were at the hospital.

As always, Comment, Vote, and Share!