Chapter 4: She's So Gone

Picture of Damen --------------------------------->

__________________________________________

(Damen's P.O.V.) 

I stepped on the gas and floored it to the pack house.  

What did Jake mean she's gone? She can't be! What will I do? Yes, I rejected her but it didn't mean that I wanted her to leave. I can't imagine never seeing her beautiful face again. My heart hurt at the thought of it.  

As I pulled up the house, I jumped from my car, ran inside and followed Jake's scent to the living room. His mom just sat there crying. I walked over to her. "Mrs. Knightlock, are you okay? What's wrong?" As soon as she heard me speak she stood up and came at me. She slapped me hard across the face. My wolf did not like being disrespected, especially now when he was hurting. His temper had gone from short to none. I let out a menacing growl.  

"Learn your place Mrs. Knightlock. Your husband may be my father's beta but you have no right to disrespect me that way." I rubbed the side of my face. God that hurt! I was sure I had a red hand print on the side of my face. 

"I don't care, kick me out of the pack! You will be a terrible alpha! What kind of man rejects his mate? A pathetic one I'll tell you that." She looked like she wanted to kill me. As mad as I was - and I was mad, she was actually scaring me! Mother wolves were extremely protective of their pups. That never changed, no matter how old they got, their mom would protect them at all costs. "The worst part about all of this is she is gone because of you." She came at me again and shoved me backwards, catching me off-guard I stumbled back a few steps. For a non-shifter she sure was strong.  

"What do you mean she's gone?" I was trying very hard to keep my wolf at bay. He wanted out so he could find his mate. He never wanted to reject her; he was instantly in love with her at first glance. He wanted to find her, get down on his knees and beg for her to forgive us. Like hell that was happening! 

"I mean what I say. She - is - G-O-N-E. Gone. She left not long after she came home in tears. She cried for two and a half solid hours!" She was yelling by this point. "I had to force her to eat. She told me she couldn't stay here any longer and that is mostly your fault! How dare you! If Cassidy hadn't told me everything I would have left with her. This pack is pathetic. I hate it here. I'm ashamed to say I belong to the pack that treats its pack members with such hatred. I hope rogues attack and wipe you out!" She broke down crying right after that. I didn't blame her for any of it. She was right. We are pathetic. 

I took the opportunity to run and find Jake. I ran up the stairs following his scent again. I found him sitting in her room. It looked abandoned. Ever sign of life ever being there was gone. It was stripped bare. Jake was just sitting on her bed. He was mindlessly staring at a letter he had in his hands. He had tear stains running down his cheeks. He looked broken. He looked as my wolf, and I, felt.  

Jake lifted his head to meet my eyes. There were still tears shining in them. "She left this letter to us. Before I give it to you, answer me. Are you really her mate? Did you really do this? You even had me believing you!" 

I gave him a reluctant nod. "Yes. I am Cassidy's mate." 

"Wrong." He said. "You were her mate. You aren't anymore. Nor will you ever be. If by some miracle she comes back here, you will stay away from her. You will not mess with her anymore. I know my actions also drove her away and I wish with all my heart I could undo them. But I can't. And now look where we are. She's gone and she took a piece of both of us with her." With that he stood up from the bed, made his way over to me, handed me the letter and left the room.