Chapter 26: Striking

Okay, please don't hate me after this chapter!

___________________________________

(Jake's P.O.V.) 

I was in such a dark place when Cassidy left. I even thought about killing myself when I heard about her death. It was entirely my fault. That day I should've taken her side without a second thought. Instead, I chose my stupid reputation over my oven sister. But my bad karma didn't stop there. No one knows but I found my mate about three months before Cassidy came back. She was everything I could've asked for and more. She had curly brown hair that went to her shoulders. She has hazel eyes with gold flecks in the middle, and the cutest button nose I had ever seen. Her luscious lips looked as if they would've been a perfect match for mine, and don't even get me started on how incredible her body was. None of that mattered though, we could never be together.  

Why? She was with someone else already. Thinking back to the moment I saw her, 

I was in the supermarket buying supplies for the pack when I caught her scent. I quickly followed the smell of freshly cut flowers and cinnamon down the aisles of the store hoping to find her.  

Then I saw her. She was wearing a white summer dress that contrasted with her flawless tanned skin. Her curly brown hair was pulled back into some kind of twist, and she was reaching up to a higher shelf trying to get down a can of some sort. I was just about to offer my assistance when a human intervened. I growled. 

"Here you go sweetheart." He said smiling down at her lovingly. It looked like they knew each other. 

"Thanks babe," She said standing up on her toes and giving him a quick peck on the lips. The lips. My heart shattered. She had already found someone; she fell in love with a human. Not bothering to wait to find her mate.  

I quickly turned on my heel and returned to my shopping cart. I finished getting everything for the pack as fast as I could, just in case I ran into her. But fate wasn't so nice. As if mocking me, fate made sure I ran into her and that human.  

My cart crashed into hers as we both rounded a corner not looking where we were going.  

"Oh my gosh, I'm so sorry!" She gushed, oblivious to who I was. But she soon caught on. She sniffed the air and then her head shot up. Her eyes met mine. Her hazel eyes drew me in. I found myself getting lost in them. She had little gold flecks around the pupil, and a wave of adorable freckles across her nose. I was snapped out of my trance the moment she spoke. "I was hoping to never meet you." Her voice sounded like angels but the words cut my heart like a knife. "We can't be together."  

"Why? Because you're with that mangy human?" I asked heatedly. 

"That human happens to be my fiance. So yes, because of him I reject you." Her words hit me like a train. My whole life I had been waiting to find my mate, saving myself for my mate. It was all for nothing. She didn't want me, I meant nothing to her. Fine.  

"I accept your rejection. Goodbye." I said through my teeth. I saw her eyes start to tear up. I held myself back from pulling her in for a hug and comforting her. She would never welcome it. My wolf howled out at the loss of his mate, he was destroyed. I turned on my heel once again and rushed away from her as fast as I could. 

"Wait what's your name?" She called from behind me.  

Oh what the hell, she might as well know right? Know the name of the heart she just crushed. "Jake. Jake Knightlock." I said without turning around to her. I just made my way to the check out and out of the store as fast as I could.