Chapter Two

Hailey's POV

I quickly get myself showered and changed and make my way onto the coach, ignoring everyone who wanted to talk to me.  Once im on the coach I put my headphones in and pull my hood over my head.  My head is still spinning from the events that took place earlier. 

Is this really what I've dreamt of?

I knew that playing in women's football professionally wouldn't be easy, but I cat help but feel like no one really wants me here... like I dont belong here. 

My thoughts are interrupted when I feel someone sitting beside me.

I really dont feel like talking to anyone right now, but I can't send Katie away.  Not when she's only trying to help. 

"Hey, you alright?" she asks quietly.

I grab my water bottle that is lying on the table and take a sip from it. 

"Im fine" I answer her.

Fortunately my hood was still up so I dont think she is able to tell that im lying. 

It's quiet for a bit and I start to think that Katie has probably left, but then I feel a hand grip my lower arm, gently turning me around.  Her other hand cups one of my cheeks as im facing her, her eyes locked with mine. 

"You dont have to do that"

"Do what?" I ask confused.

"Lie to me" she says and I put my hand on her arm, pulling it away from my face while I look at everything and at nothing at the same time, not wanting to hold eye contact. 

"I can see how she treats you, alright? You dont have to pretend-"

"Katie, I said Im fine" I say while looking away. 

"You can talk to me Hailey.  Im here for you" Katie says and reaches to hold my hand.

Im here for you

The unfamiliarity of those simple words sting my ears.  No one has ever been there for me.  Ive always been on my own.  On my happy days? On my own having no one to share laughter with. On my sad days? On my own, having no one to share the burden and pain with. 

"Im going to go and talk to Jonas" I tell Katie, getting up from my seat, not wanting to stay, scared that I'll dump all my trauma on her, scared that she'll see through my mask and see not a strong woman, but just a vulnerable little girl.

Before I can leave, Katie stops me by locking her hand in mine. 

"I talked to Jonas, told him to give you a break for the rest of the day.  He was okay with it but he'll want to talk to you both tomorrow" Katie says, giving me a small genuine smile. 

Why is she so nice to me? No one is ever this nice to me?

"Oh, you didn't have to do that" I tell her, taken aback by this act of kindness. 

"I wanted to"

"Well... I guess you should get back to the girls, im just going to get some sleep anyway" I half joke but Katie doesn't laugh back at me.  Instead, the smile that she was wearing slowly fades. 

"Whats wrong?" I ask reaching for her hand when her face falls and she scratches the back of her neck like she's nervous. 

"Oh, its just..." she begins and looks me in the eye, "I was hoping I could keep you company" Katie says style and I stare at her in awe. 

She wanted to spend time with me?

"But never mind, you should get some rest and-"

"Why dont you come over to my room when we get back to the hotel?" the words leave my mouth so fast that I surprise even myself. 

There's nothing wrong with hanging out with Katie, I mean we play for the same team and she's a great girl, and happens to be my only friend here. 

Maybe I really should put myself out there more and try make friends with the other girls. 

"Yeah, I'd like that!" Katies face lights up, "I'll let you get some rest now, but text me your address and I'll swing by after we get back"

Katie gives me a smile and gets up to sit with the other girls.

***  ***

I'm woken up from my nap when someone knocks at my hotel door.  I get up from the bed where I had crashed and unintentionally fallen asleep, and head towards the door still half asleep. 

"Hey sleepyhead!" Katie greets me once I open the door, "I brought you some food" she says while holding up the food bag. 

"How did you know I was starving?" I ask her with a smile while motioning for her to follow me inside. 

"I figured you hadn't eaten anything yet" she says and sits close to me on the bed, "Is sushi okay?"

"It's perfect!" I say and start laying the food down, my mouth watering at the sight of food. 

"Aren't you going to eat?" I ask Katie once I realise that she's sitting back, watching me eat. 

"It's okay, you can have it.  I ate before I came here" she says and gives me a smile.

She has a good smile. A very good one.  Ive noticed that she rarely smiles, or laughs for that matter but when she does, she makes me want to smile alongside her too. 

I pick one of the sushi rolls up with the chopsticks and lean towards her, bringing it to her mouth.  She chuckles when she realises what im doing and opens her mouth, her eyes never leaving mine.

"Mhmm... it's so good!" she moans in pleasure and I can't help but feel my cheeks warm up. 

"You should be grateful that im willing to share my sushi with you" I joke but then I realise that Katie's gaze shifts from my eyes to mu lips. 

She then sits up, facing me while one of her hands reaches for the corner of my bottom lip, stroking over some of the soy sauce that must have been there. The she brings her thumb to her own mouth, licking the sauce off. 

"Oh, hmmm... thanks!" I say style, shocked that she did that. 

After we've finished eating, we put on a movie and we both lie down to watch it.  I talk during the entire movie, which is a bad habit of mine, but Katie doesn't seem to mind. 

Once the movie is finished, Katie has already fallen asleep, her head on top of my lap.  I gently stroke her hair, not wanting to wake her up but she can't sleep here with me.

"I fell asleep?" she asks with a raspy voice while she sits up, her hand going over her face to wake herself up. 

"Probably my non-stop rambling made you sleepy' I say while getting up from the bed. 

"Sorry for falling asleep on top of you" Katie says shyly while walking towards the door.

"Its okay, I dont mind"

I walk Katie to the door and she turns around, facing me. 

"Thank you for letting me come over" she smiles. 

"No problem, I had fun" I say genuinely. 

"We should do it again sometime" Katie says while leaning towards me, planting a little kiss on my forehead. 

While she is doing so, I spot a figure standing not too far away from us. 

Leah is standing with her hotel key in her hands, in front of her hotel room and she's watching us.  When her eyes lock with mine, a strange feeling washes over me, as if I didn't want her to see me... with Katie. 

A disgusted look lingers on her face, long enough for me to see it, and then she tolls her eyes and walks into her room.