Chapter Sixteen

liked by bethmead, kimlittle, jenbeattie and others

haileywebster: It would be rude not to celebrate my winning goal 😜🥂

Caitlin walks beside me, both of us making our way down the stairs where Leah and Lia are waiting outside the apartment complex. 

I take a look at Leah, but then immediately shift my attention to where I'm walking, afraid that I might fall from staring at her too long.  

Lia approaches Caitlin, with a bright smile on her face, complimenting her and giving her a light peck on the lips

I wonder what it feels like, to be loves like that by someone.  It seems so easy but it is completely hard for me whenever I try.

The couple turn their heads towards us, waiting for a greeting from both me and Leah.  I just stand there, not knowing what to do, I know I should hug Leah, or kiss her, or say 'hi', or do something other than look dumbfounded but its hard when Leah seems like she is frozen in place.  All I manage to offer is a small smile. 

Leah just stands there, her mouth slightly open like she is in awe, looking at me.  My self esteem starts running low because of the way she is staring at me.  I can't read her expression, I can't figure out what is going through her mind right now. 

"Mate?" Lia hits Leah in the ribs with her elbow, bringing her back to reality. 

"Ehem" Leah clears her throat and blinks a few times, "sorry baby" she says and puts her arm around me, her grip tight around my waist, pulling me closer and towards her. 

I almost flinch at her nickname.  I try to remind myself that it's not real, that she doesn't actually mean it but as she slowly caresses my lower back.

Once I'm in her embrace, close enough to smell her perfume, Leah presses her lips to my cheek, giving me a soft kiss and taking me completely by surprise. 

"You look absolutely breathtaking" she compliments loud enough for our friends to hear.  She looks in my eyes as she says it and a part of me wonders if she actually meant it.