Chapter Eight

Leah's POV

I just stand there, watching her leave... leave with Katie.

I never meant to take it this fair, but I wasn't able to stop myself.  When I saw Katie's hands on her all I could see was red.  My heart was flaming in my chest and I couldn't understand why, why was that happening to me, why when she leaned more into Katie I couldn't breathe properly... I had to stop it from happening... I had to stop it somehow. 

I hate her for even coming to this party. I hate her for messing with my head. I hate her for dancing with him, but more importantly, I hate that it wasn't me she was touching, who she was holding.

I've never been so affected by anyone before.  Not like she affects me.  It's absurd and it's annoying and im furious.  Im furious at myself for feeling this way, for admitting it to myself and because of the fact that I care.  I care more about her that id like. 

"Leah, that was messed up mate". Beth turns her back on me walking away, "you should apologise to her"

I pick up a bottle of tequila that was on the floor and I down it, worried about what may go down tomorrow.

Beth's POV

I turn my head back and see Leah taking a swig of her drink, completely wasted to even stand straight.  I sit on a nearby chair, watching over her so she doesn't hurt herself. Im drunk myself, but at least my judgement is clear.  How she treated Hailey was completely wrong. 

"Whats up with those two?"

I look up and see Jen standing next to me.

"Who knows?" I shrug

"Leah hates her" Jen states while shaking her head.

I look at my team mate who stands close to the pool, looking like she's thinking about what just happened. 

"No she doesn't" I whisper "not really"

Jen sits down on a chair next to me, waiting for me to continue.

"She just makes her feel things she's never felt before" I say.

"Like what?"

"She definitely feels threatened by her but... there's something else there" I say while thinking, "Leah just acts differently when she's around, its like she almost..." I turn to look at Jen to realise that she has fallen asleep on the chair.

"Fuck sake" I say under my breath.

Why do I have to babysit these idiots?

Katie's POV

She looks out of the taxi window the entire ride, probably trying to distract herself.

I take one of her hands in mine because she still seems like she is cold, even thoughI wrapped her in my jacket. 

I dont like seeing her like this... I dont like it at all. 

A feeling of protectiveness takes over me every time there's something bothering her and all I want to do is make her feel safe, but at the moment she's shutting everyone out and im not sure how to break through. 

My thoughts are interrupted when the car stops and Hailey gets out the car.  I walk close to her but it feels like she s in a while other world. 

When we get to her door, she begins to unlock it but I stop her and she turns to me looking confused. 

"You're staying with me tonight" I tell her and take her up the next flight of stairs to my apartment.  We shared the same apartment complex as Jen and viv and Beth so it was nice having us live so close together. She doesn't object, just walks quietly behind me. 

I open the door for her and she walks in, walking towards the sofa and taking a seat.  

"Hmmm... I'll bring you something to change into, or you can take a shower if you like" I tell her quietly and give her a smile. 

"A shower would be great" She says while getting up. 

I grab a tower for her and she goes into the bathroom.  The water is running but I could swear I could hear her crying in there, and it takes everything in me not to walk in and comfort her. 

Once she is done, she walks into the room with a towel wrapped around her. 

She is beautiful.

"Here" I hand her a shirt and some sweats while looking at the floor. 

"Thank you"

She heads into the bathroom again to change, and I lay on the bed waiting for her to finish.  When she comes back, she's standing in my clothes, my shirt and sweats that hang loose on her body, but I still feel like she looks perfect. 

"Come here" I pat the empty side of the bed, indicating for her to lay down.

She hesitates at firth but then lies down next to me, her body immediately relaxing once she's inside the sheets. 

"Katie?" Hailey asks and I hum in response, "thank you"

I dont say anything, instead I put my arm around her waist, pulling her closer to me while I eventually drift off to sleep. 

Hailey's POV

I wake up with the worst headache of my life.  For a minute, I freak out, thinking that ill be late for training today, but then I reach for my phone on the bedside table, and it shows its barely 7am.

I lay on my back in bed again, turning my head to look at Katie, who's sleeping peacefully while snoring a little. 

During the games, she usually comes across as aggressive, but I guess not a lot of people get to see this side of her. 

My staring at Katie is interrupted by a notification on my phone. 

Jonas: Good morning Hailey, I'd like to see you before training today, please stop by my office

I take Katie's arm which is still wrapped around my waist and hold it up a bit, trying to get out of bed without waking her. 

Once I am standing up, I take the dress I was wearing last nighty and leave the apartment still wearing Katie's clothes.  I send her a text thanking her for letting me stay with her last night.  I start getting ready for the day as soon as I get into my apartment.  I can't help but think about what Jonas wants to discuss with me today.

***   ***

"Please take a seat" Jonas says while closing the door behind us as we enter his office. 

I wait impatiently, fidgeting with my fingers while my coach takes a seat in front of me. 

"I've been very impressed with your performance lately" he begins with and I look up at him, "I must say, you've really impressed me"

Jonas looks at me with a smile on his face. 

"Im glad ive managed to reach your expectations"

"You've outreached them even" he intertwines his fingers together on top of the desk, "but this business with Leah is really starting to rile the media up and its not good for the teams image.  I heard about what happened last night, and I know it wasnt your fault, but im not sure how much more the team can take. 

"Okay" I all I can say as Jonas dismisses me and I get up from my seat.

"And Hailey?" Jonas says behind me when im near the door, so I turn around to look at him, "Dont forget about what he spoke about in here" he says while getting up from his seat, "stay away from Leah"