Chapter Fifteen

As I'm standing in front of an interviewee, I can feel my heart start to race faster when I see her giving me a smirk. 

I know whats coming.

As I was answering other rushed questions about the game, I kept wishing that we could just avoid talking about the kiss, but obviously I had too much hope. 

Please dont ask, please dont ask, please dont ask...

"So Hailey, it seems like you're winning both on and off the pitch!" she chuckles, "the moment between you and Leah Williamson has shaken us all up!"

"Yeah I can imagine!" I fake laugh and dig my nails inside of my palms which are now sweaty.

"It was such a sweet gesture of her and you both must be so happy for each other, winning the game together"

"Leah is the sweetest..." when she's not trying to kill me... or drown me... or humiliate me, and the list goes on and on, "and yeah I'm very proud of her"

"Although you're such a cute couple and we love seeing you together, I have to ask" she says and I cringe when she says 'couple', "how is your relationship affecting your job? I mean at the end of the day you're team mates"

"Ehm... we we both try to keep our relationship separated from work so it doesn't really have any affect on it" I try to say confidently. 

"Well there you have it ladies and gents" the interviewee says while turning towards the camera, "Hailey, thank you so much for your time and congratulations once again"

"Thank you" I say and start walking away.

I can't believe all of this is happening.  How are we supposed to pretend to be in a relationship and make it believable at the same time?  This interview was better than expected but wait until they start asking more personal questions.  All of my past relationships have never been too serious and I haven't dated anyone in a very long time.  All my focus has been on football so I have little to no experience when it comes to dating.  This is going to be hell.

"Here comes the champ!" Jonas says as soon as I walk in and the part of the team that's left claps and cheers for me one more time.

Jonas gives me a brief hug and whispers 'you did great' in my ear.  I can't figure out if he's talking about my winning goal or the whole performance in front of everyone.  I can't help but wonder if he knew that it was going to happen.  If he did, he could have at least given me a heads up.

'Where's Katie?" I ask him not to only change the subject, but because I truly want to know. 

I still have to talk to her about everything.  I can't tell her that my relationship with Leah is fake, no one can know about that but she still deserves an explanation even if im still lying to her in a way. 

We kissed just a nigh before and it didn't seem like it meant absolutely nothing to her.  I can't imagine what she must be thinking when she saw me and Leah together. 

"She left early but dont worry, you'll see her at the party tonight" Jonas says and pats my shoulder. 

My mood immediately changed when I hear about the after party.  Usually I would be excited and looking forward to it but going there tonight would mean more pretending and more drama that I dont want to have to deal with. 

"Hey, dont give me that look" Jonas says while pointing his finger at me, "you're the winner Hailey, that party is basically being thrown for you, you can't just not attend"

"I think I might just skip this one Jonas" I say while rubbing my forehead, "I'm too tired for it"

Jonas takes me by my forearm and pulls me into his office, closing the door behind him.