Chapter Seventeen

"Why are you here?"

I turn around and my face drops at the person standing in front of me.  Katie is the last person who I thought would follow me into the bathroom. 

"You mean... in the bathroom?" I chuckle a little, probably because of the alcohol I had but also because I am a little nervous.

"No" Katie runs a hand through her hair and takes in a deep breath, like she's building up the courage to ask me, "why are you here with her?"

I shift my gaze to my hands, unable to look at her in the face. She doesn't deserve my lies, she deserves an explanation.  An honest one.  But I can't give that to her.

Katie puts her hand under my chin, making me look her in the eye. 

"Whats going on?" she asks, concern on her face.  She can tell something is bothering me. 

"Can we not do thing right now?" I pull her hand away, trying to leave but she wraps her arm around my waist, stopping me.

"You're not leaving until you explain everything to me" Katie says, voice cold.

I did want to talk to her but thing doesn't feel like the right time or the right place.  However she doesn't seem like she will let this go. 

"Leah and-" I begin to say but I realise that Katie cringes when I say Leah's name, "I'm with her"

Katie scoffs and slowly shakes her head, clearly not believing what I just told her. 

"Like hell you are" she says but I remain quiet which makes Katie's eyes widen, "Hailey, you're not being serious"

"Iam, I told you... im with her" I try making my voice as even as possible. 

"For how long?" she says, her eyes never leaving mine, her precedes sucking all the air out of the room.

'About two weeks now"

I wish the ground would open and swallow me all because of the expression on her face.  Katie seems hurt, more than hurt.  She seems betrayed. 

"No way" she takes a few steps back, "I dont believe you"

"I don know what to tell you" I whisper, pulling my hair out of my face, suddenly feeling suffocated. 

"You could tell me the truth"

"Everyone else is okay with the fact we're dating, so why aren't you?"

"Because im not stupid" she closes the distance again, "literally a day ago, you were talking about how much you'd like to see Leah's downfall and now you're head over heels for her?" she shouts, "what about our kiss? Did that mean nothing to you?"

"Katie, lower your voice please" I start panicking,  If anyone found out what happened between me and Katie, it could ruin both of us. 

"Why?" she asks and then her mouth falls open in realisation, "she doesn't know"

I shake my head.

"You haven't told her" Katie says and it's more of a statement than a question, "if you're really together why haven't you told her?"

"It wasn't meant to happen... she doesn't have to know" I say knowing that the only reason why Leah would care about me and Katie is because she could use it to get us out of the picture... to get me out of her way. 

'So that's how you feel?" Katie's voice shakes a little, indicating that she's hurt. 

I hurt her. Ity was never my intention but I still hurt the only person who cared more about me than the others here.