Chapter Forty

Hailey's POV

Even with all the mess going on all around me, its only those green eyes im able to see. Its like even in the middle of a storm, her eyes are the only thing that keeps me grounded, guiding me, showing me the way back to the shore.

But this time around, I feel them pulling me under, keeping my head from reaching the surface.

I watch the England captain from afar as she adjusts her captains armband, a smile on her face as she answers a few questions an interviewer is asking her, completely oblivious to how the sunset behind her dulls in comparison to the vibrance that is her. I feel my body tense by only looking at Leah, even though she has no idea that I'm standing just right in front of her. She slightly shifts positions, but her movements don't feel familiar to me anymore. Its like im looking at a totally different person, now that I know the truth. Now she's an unknown silhouette of the person I thought I knew.

I had no idea how much it was going to tear me apart to see her again, after finally finding out what Leah had been keeping from me behind closed doors. But now that everything is exposed to the light, perhaps life wasn't so full of bright colours before. Perhaps I had only seen what I wanted to see.

I take a deep breath to ground myself and ease up all the raging anger building up inside of me. Going up to her and causing a scene with all of these people and press around wasn't the smartest idea, including here the fact that its my last game ever.

Leah laughs and the sound of her laughter pierces through my ears. Somehow, looking at her being this happy makes my anger slowly fade and I allow myself only for a few seconds to cling to the feeling of peace that washes over me every time she laughs, before putting my guard back up. I close my eyes, not wanting to look at her anymore. If I continue to, I'll probably start forgetting everything that she has done.

When I reopen my eyes, chills run through my body, seeing her eyes connected with mine. Its like we're automatically sent into another dimension, another world where its just me and her. No darkness. Just light. But that only lasts a second before we are pulled back into this chaos.

Leah continues talking for the camera, but she throws a wink at me before giving me a hug grin. I force the corners of my mouth to not curl up into a smile and I try to keep a neutral face on. She doesn't deserve a sweet smile, or a loving look but she has sunk her roots so deep into me that I would give her the entire world f she barely even asked.

Her asking me for it, is the last thing I can afford right now, so when Leah wavs at the camera and starts making her way towards me, I take a few steps back but... its useless. She's already headed my way and the camera behind her film her every step.

"Hails!" Leah exclaims, seeming happy to see me, whereas I on the other hand am fighting with my life to not give her an angry look in front of everyone.

Leah wraps her hands around my waist as she pulls me close to her embrace, her touch making me feel as if thorns are slicing my skin open. Her hands- the ones that would caress my skin gently as if trying to memorise every part of me.

Her hands- the one that wrote the letter...

She hugs me and any other day I would have melted in her warmly presence, but not today. Not from now on.

I catch a glimpse at the camera behind her, so I force myself to patt her on the back, but it feels like nothing like the hugs I would give her after a long day or like being curled up in bed, cuddling each other. My body tenses and Leah isn't late to catch on to it.

Its hard to fake a smile when the entire world is watching... and what a person knows you too well.

"The camera is gone" I mumble through gritted teeth, putting my hands on her chest to slightly push her away. I avoid eye contact with her like a life or death situation, scared that if I look at her I might just break.