Chapter Thirteen

I take a sip from my coffee as im making my way to the briefing room, not having had much sleep from the previous night.  Today is game day, but im not feeling a hundred percent ready for it.  It's like my mind is clouded with thoughts which is bad because I need to focus if I want to do my best on pitch. 

The night before I texted Jonas, letting him know that I had agreed to his proposal.  I could almost hear his laugh through the phone when he texted 'you've made the right decision' back at me and 'I'll help you through it all'. At that moment, I bit my tongue and restrained myself from texting him that I dont need his help. 

Inside the briefing room, Elliot, the team strategist awaits me and the rest of the team.  He starts explaining some things to us about the game today, the whole information he lies in front of me giving me a headache.  

"Hailey!"

I turn around and see Katie walking towards me. 

Shit.

I was kind of hoping that I wouldnt have to face her today, which is stupid to think because we're literally on the same team. 

As she's walking slowly towards me, images from last night go through my head... the way her hand cupped the nape of my neck, there way her lips crushed into mine, the way she slightly moved her head, a little out of breath.

I can't decide if I want to run away and hide or reach out and touch her again.

"Katie, hi!" I say when she's just a few feet away from me now, trying to keep my voice low pitched as possible. 

"Are you ignoring me?" Katie asks while running one of her hands through her hair.  I haven't necessarily been avoiding her but ive definitely been thinking about it. 

"I called you earlier but I never got a response" she continues.

"Oh sorry... Ive just been kind of busy today and haven't really checked my phone" I say, which is not a lie but for some reason suspicion hangs in Katies face. I dont blame her. I mean we kiss and I kind of run away and dont answer her calls... I can't imagine what she might think, how she must feel right now.

If anything, I hope I haven't hurt her feelings.

"Listen... about last night-" Katie begins to say but my gaze shifts from behind her, my eyes locking with a pair of green eyes and everything around me fades into a blur. 

Leah is standing in front of the arsenal trophy cabinet, an interviewer holding up a microphone for her, probably asking her a question but she gives no response, as she is too busy looking at me. Goosebumps running all the way through my veins. 

For a second, I could swear that a small smile lingers on Leah's face but it disappears in a blink and it makes me feel like I've imagined it.  I try to get myself to break our eye contact but it feels nearly impossible.  She stares at me and I stare back just as hard, both of us refusing to break contact. 

This always happens when im around Leah. It's like there's some invisible string pulling me to her. 

Before I can turn my head away, Leah throws a wink at me, her arrogant smile appearing on her face, but this time... this time it's different. She winks at me not in a taunting way, but it's as if she's almost happy to see me.  I feel the anger caused by her slowly fade and I curse myself for it.  Its funny of me to think that Leah would every feel happy to land her eyes on me. Absolutely absurd. 

When the interviewer leaves, I force myself to look away, realising that Katie is still standing in front of me and is still talking about something.

'What do you think?" Katie says, looking at me with hopeful eyes, and I curse myself for not paying attention to her for the past few minutes.  I sigh and pull Katie further up the corridor, away from all the eyes and ears. 

"Im sorry Katie but can we talk about this later and... not here?" I say and pull my hair up in a bum while looking around at all the other girls walking up towards the changing room.  If Katie wants to talk about what happened between us, this is probably not the right place to do so.

"I need to get ready for the game"

Katie gives me a nod and a smile before wishing me 'good luck' and walking into the changing room and towards her cubby. 

I go to make my way into the changing room, but as I do Leah walks out, blocking my way. 

"Here to finish me off sweetheart?" she taunts, her green emerald eyes shining in the sunlight.

"Try keep it clean out there today Williamson" I walk past her only to get stopped by her again, her hand on my forearm, "what do you think you're doing?"

"No good luck kiss?" she smirks.

I take a step forward, standing closer to her, looking her in the eye as our faces stand inches apart.  I watch her gaze drop to my lips while hers slightly part.  I start leaning in and she slowly starts doing the same only for me to angle my face away. Standing on my tip toes I whisper in her ear, "I hope you dont make it the full 90 minutes"

I lean back, watching her smirk and confidence disappear from her face, which fills me with satisfaction and I leave her standing there alone.

***   ***

I jump to celebrate with my team, still excitement rushing through me.  It still felt unreal to me, even after people started congratulating me and patting my back. 

I had just scored the winning goal in our game against Aston Villa in the 93rd minute of 4 minutes of extra time!

"Hailey!" 

I turn around and see Katie walking towards me, a huge smile appears on her face. 

I start walking towards her when a pair of hands pull me back, turning me around.  My body hits a hard chest and before I can look up I see who it is... their lips collide with mine.