Chapter Twenty

"We're here"

I look out of the window as the car comes to a stop, the view in front of m work the long wait, 

Its a secluded place, just a bit further from the side of the road, covered by trees and considering how high up we are, we're able to get a clear view of the whole city. 

I step out of the car, mesmerised by how the yellow and orange colours emerge from the sky as the sun starts to set. 

"Wow" I take a few steps further to take a better look. 

Leah walks closer and stops beside me, our eyes meeting. The sunset colours reflect into her eyes, making her look heavenly, "I'm glad you like it"

"Is this where you take all the girls?" I tease "Does your secret spot make then fall to their knees?"

"You tell me" Leah says, "You're the first ive ever brought here"

I search her eyes but they're only filled with sincerity. 

A few days ago, I wouldnt have believed a thing that came out of this girls mouth but its moments like this, when its just the two of us that I start letting my guard down, that I feel like I can be myself and trust her even though she's given me no reason to. 

"Can I ask you a question?" I ask, crossing my arms over my chest.

Leah slowly nods.

"Why do you hate me?"

There it is. I finally did it.  I finally asked her the question ive been wondering since I joined Arsenal.  I finally asked the question that has kept me up so many restless nights. 

Leah looks how at her feet, staying quiet for a while, like she's gathering her thoughts.

"Dont tell me its because I hit you in the face with the ball the first time we met or something stupid like that"

Leah starts laughing at that.

After the giggles came to an end, it becomes quiet again and I keep waiting for a response from Leah, one that it didnt seem like she was going to give me.  I turn around, leaning on the car hood and look at the view instead.  The sunset was almost gone, coming to an else, the colours blending with each other, turning dark. 

"I dont hate you" Leah says in a low voice. 

"Are you sure about that?" I ask, still looking ahead. 

She moves closer, leaning on the car hood as well, her shoulder briefly brushing against mine. 

"My father taught me to never hate my enemies" Leah says, playing with the bracelets on her wrist, "I didnt necessarily like you" she chuckles, "you weren't exactly my favourite person... but I never hated you"

"It sure seemed like it" I say and wrap my arms around mysudel, suddenly feeling cold. 

"I dont have a jacket with me" Leah says when she realises, "but..." she opens her arms towards me.

I hesitate at first, but then give in and walk into her embrace, immediately feeling the warmth of her body against mine.  My head rests on her chest as I snuggle into her and she holds me tight. 

Leah takes a long sigh before continuing.

"Before my dad dies... I made a promise to him, one I didnt want to break" she says slowly and because of the way her voice trembles just a bit, I can tell that this is a heavy topic for her, so I keep quiet. 

"Although I fulfilled most of it, when you came along it was harder. I mean you were winning almost every game for us and I was mad" Leah says and I look up at her, "not at you, mad at myself"

"Leah-"

"I couldn't do anything about it, so I took my anger out on you"

"It's okay... ive gotten over it" I shake my head trying to make her feel less guilty. 

"No, its not okay" Leah says and cups my face, "I just need you to know that im really sorry and that I regret all of it"

Her face is only inches away from mine and she takes a lock of my hair out of my face that was blown by the wind. 

"I dont want you to hate me" Leah says, almost as if she's hurt, as if she's in pain. 

"I dont" I say not only to calm her down but because somewhere on the way, my hatred for her transformed into sympathy/. Somewhere along the way,  I stopped hating Leah Williamson without even realising myself.

"You dont?" she asks in disbelief.

I shake my head to indicate no.  Her features immediately and she suddenly looks more at peace. 

"We're... friends" I say

"Friends... yeah, right" Leah says a but started taking a few steps back. 

"Great. Now that's settled, lets talk about setting some rules"

"Alright, do you have any ideas in mind?"

"This is a bit obvious but... rule number one: we tell no one that our relationship is fake"

"Of course" Leah says and puts her arms on her waist, "what else?"

"Rule number two: no touching"

"No touching?!" Leah says and widens her eyes at me, "but that's what couples do?"

"You can hold my hand or waist or whatever... but no as squeezing" I point my finger at her.

"Come on! I did that like once" she chuckles.

"Dont do it again"

"Fine... I'll try to keep my hands to myself" Leah raises her hands up in the air in defence. 

"Do you have anything to add?" I ask her, wanting her to have a say in this as much as I do.

"This is not really a rule but ummm... we could secretly see other people" Leah scratches her neck.

"Oh"

Oh? Seriously? Is that all I managed to say? Out of everything I thought she would suggest I never saw that one coming. 

"Okay, yeah. If that's what you want" I avoid eye contact, "but in that case, you have to be very discreet about it.  We can't risk getting caught"

"Great, glad we're on the same page"

I put my hand forward, waiting for her to take it, but she gives me a look.

"Seriously?" Leah asks

"What? We have to make it official"

She rolls her eyes and takes my hand, shaking it. 

"Come on, let's head back" Leah says and we both get in the car. 

On the drive back, I stare out of the window, looking at how Liverpool lights up. 

"Thanks for the rise" I say when we get back to the hotel.  

"Dont mention it" she says and I open the door, but before I can get out, Leah stops me by grabbing my arm.

"Hailey?"

"Yeah?" I look at Leah who seems like she wants to tell me something but she quickly shakes her head like she's changed her mind. 

"Good night" she says.

I offer her a smile and say good night before closing the door. 

I walk in my hotel room, almost stumbling because of how dark it is.  I struggle to find the light switch, but once I do and turn the lights on, I almost have a heart attack.

"Jesus Christ!" I scream, and hold my hand to my chest. 

"Chill! It's just me!"

In front of me is Katie, sitting on a single bed that's close to another. 

"What the hell are you doing in my room?"I ask, confused, not expecting to find her in here.

"You mean our room?" Katie says and I look at her in shock, "we're roommates?"

Oh god, this can't be happening right now.