Chapter Four

Hailey's POV

I arrive late to the Emirates, unlike the others who arrived a few hours ahead of our game against Manchester United.  After sneaking in from the back door, I tug at the bottom of my shirt im wearing, suddenly feeling the cold air hitting my skin. 

As I walk past the tunnel which leads out to the pitch, a figure is sitting on the edge of the tunnel, looking ahead.  I try to see how it is, but I can't quite make out who it is. 

I start heading towards them, ignoring the part of me that is screaming to run away. 

What is it they say? Curiosity kills?

Surprise can clearly be seen all over my face when I see Leah sitting infant of me.  She hasnt noticed me yet but she's playing with the bracelets on her wrist.  Ive never seen Leah this... miserable? I almost feel bad for her. 

Now that I found out who was sitting her, I turn to leave, not wanting to stay and chit chat with her. 

I'm almost at the stairs when...

"You know its rude to sneak up on people"

I freeze in my steps when I hear Leah's voice behind me.  Maybe I wasn't being so sneaky after all. 

I turn around and see Leah's back facing me.  Knowing that I definitely got caught, I slowly walk towards her. 

"What are you doing here Leah?" I ask her while taking a seat next to her, but making sure that there is distance between us. 

"I could ask you the same thing" she says, her face looking straight forward, not giving me as much as a glance. 

"I want to spend as little time in that team room as I can so figured I would just come before its time to head out" I answer genuinely.

"Do you always do this?" she asks as I turn to look at her confused.

'Do what?" 

"Sneak up on people?" Leah asks, a small grin on her face. 

'Only when it's someone I dont like" I say and surprise myself when I realise im telling Leah Williamson, the person who hates me and who I hate, a joke. 

"Were you following me?" she asks with annoyance in her voice, turning to face me this time. 

"Please, ive got better things to do than to follow you around Leah" I roll my eyes.

"This is the second time you've rolled your eyes at me" she states, "lets not make a habit of it"

I try my hardest not to roll my eyes this time. 

Silence falls around us for a moment, and we stay like that, in each others company.  I turn to look at Leah, who's looking ahead and I think that id give everything to know what she was thinking about right now. 

Suddenly she looks at me, our eyes locking. 

"Why are you looking at me like that?" Leah asks with an expression I can't read. 

I look in her eyes, and I see myself there.  Sitting here Leah looks almost... miserable.  And she reminds me too much of myself.  Sitting here, beside her, feels like we're two broken pieces trying to figure out how to fix ourselves and failing every time. 

I dont answer her, instead I look away, pulling my legs into me while wrapping my arms around them, suddenly feeling cold. 

Leah sighs and puts her hands on the crew neck of her hoodie, lifting it over her head.  While she does do, the red Arsenal top she's wearing underneath lifts up, putting her abs on full display.  I try my hardest to look away, trying to ignore the fact that my cheeks are flushed. 

Why are the arrogant ones always attractive?

Leah hands me her hoodie without saying anything. 

"I can't take it, what about you?" I ask, not wanting her to get cold because if he got sick before the game, she would definitely blame me.

"Just take it and stop making a big deal" she says with a flat tone. 

I take the hoodie from her, chills running through my entire body, but not because of the cold, but because out fingers slightly make contact with each other. 

"Thanks" I say to her and put her hoodie on, immediately feeling warmer. 

It smells...like her

"You know, you're not as bad as-"

"Stop that" Leah interrupts me.

"Stop what?"

"Stop trying to talk to me"

"Im just trying to make conversation" I say a little hurt because of her harsh tone. 

"I think you forget im not your friend" Leah says while chuckling sarcastically.

I know we're not friends, but we dont have to hate each other either.  I know that she's been messing with my performance in games by constantly tackling me, but I haven't really gave her an easy time either.  At the end of the day, we work together so we could try and be professional and make our jobs and lives less difficult for each other. 

"We could be?" I whisper.

"We're not friends" Leah says, turning to face me, "we'll never be friends Hailey, so stop trying to push something that will never happen!"

"Fine, we dont have to be friends Williamson, but we could at least try to be civilised for the sake of the team" I say whilst raiding my voice at her. 

"I barely like you on a good day! I just tolerate you because of the way you're always wandering around looking like a lost, lonely puppy!" she says, anger filled in her voice, "you just dont seem to get that you're not wanted here"

I flinch at her words, tears threatening to spill from my eyes. 

How can she be so cruel?

"Hailey-" Leah begins to say, her voice filled with regret, but im already on my feet leaving. 

"Forget it, I dont need your pity Williamson!" I say and I turn my back on her, not wanting to show her how much her words affected me. 

I can't look at her, I can't stand being near her. 

I can't understand how I used to look up to this person and think so highly of her, when in fact she is nothing but rude to me. 

I start walking towards the changing room and head straight to my cubby, Leah following not far behind me.  I can't really argue with her and yell at her to stop following me since we're both supposed to be in the changing room.