Chapter Thirty-Six

Hailey's POV

Julia, my personal manager walks behind me after I finish our training session. She hands me a bottle water and I take a sip, walking towards the changing room as I practice my breathing method to calm my body down.

"Training went well today" Julia says "If you keep up this performance you'll do great on Sunday"

"Hope so" I murmur.

"Take a s few minutes then join us in the office when you're ready, we've got some work to deal with"

Just turns to walk away but I stop her.

"Hey... is it okay if I show up a bit later?" I ask and she gives me a confused look, "I've got something important to deal with"

"Like what?"

"Personal stuff" I say, not being patient enough to meet up with Leah to talk about earlier.

Julia stands there, thinking for a few minutes.

"Fine, but you know I cant cover you for long" she gives in.

"Thanks, you're the best" I make my way towards the cool down room, hoping to see Leah there. I walk slowly towards the entrance, not knowing whether to walk in or not.

"Hailey!"

I turn my head towards where the voice is coming from and I see Beth walking towards me.

"Hey Beffy!"

"Looking for Leah?" she asks and I nod, "you just missed her but she went that way" she points to a direction.

"Thanks Beth"

I make my way through the crowd of people, trying to catch a glimpse of Leah. I smile when I spot her. Leah stands a few feet away, looking like she's talking to someone I cant quite see, because of a person blocking my way.

"Excuse me" I say and squeeze myself past one of the physios, stopping in my tracks when I see who she is talking to.

What?

Leah turns her head towards my direction and sees me standing in front of her before flashing me a smile.

"Oh there she is!" my mother exclaims when she sees me and they both start walking my way.

"Mum? What are you doing here?" I ask, not expecting to see her here and then hugging her.

"I wanted to come and see you but I wasn't sure if that was okay with you since I didn't ask you beforehand" she says and then looks at Leah, "but then Leah reached out to me and invited me to show me around"

I turn to look at Leah who's standing with her hands on her hips and with a smile on her face.

"You did?"

"I thought it was about time we met" Leah chuckles shyly.

"She's absolutely remarkable" my mother mouths at me.

"Where are you headed?" Leah asks me.

"I was just looking for you" I say and my mother walks a few steps ahead before turning to say, "I'll give you some space"

"Is this about earlier?" Leah asks and I nod

"Yeah, I just wanted to-" I begin to say and Leah cups my face, looking intensely into my eyes.

"Hey, its alright" she says softly but I shake my head.

"Leah"

"Hailey" Leah takes a deep breath before saying "Its going to take a while to get used to this... us. But I'm okay with not rushing things"

"Are you sure?"

"Im willing to wait for you. No matter how long it takes" Leah says and pulls me into a hug, slowly caressing my back, "I'm not going anywhere"

I breathe in, inhaling her intoxicating yet comforting scent.

"Actually... about that, your mums waiting for me so..." she says and I chuckle.

"Yeah yeah, go ahead"

"You can join us if you want?" Leah invites me.

"I would love to but I have a meeting to get to" I frown, "and im already late"

"Alright, I'll see you later?"

I stand on my tiptoes, giving her a quick kiss on the cheek before Leah walks to my mum and they start walking in the other direction. Before I leave, I hear my mum say "I need to show you this funny picture of Leah with this read shirt on"

*** ***

I join the others at the office, all of them seated around the table. The air is thick and I cant help but notice the tense looks that everyone gives each other once I walk in.

"Excuse me" I say and rush towards the empty chair, which happens to be next to Kim and I quickly sit down to not draw anymore attention to myself.

"Did I miss anything important?" I whisper to Kim who swallows down harshly and doesn't look my way.

"Jonas will tell you soon" Kims voice shakes a bit.

"Everything okay?" I ask and Kim bites down on her bottom lip.

"Mhm" she mumbles, seeming like she doesn't want to talk about it any further so I let her be.

For the next hour, I concentrate on what Jonas and the strategist is saying, trying my best to ignore the weird feeling in my gut.

"Alright everyone, we're done for today" Jonas excuses us after what seemed like the longest talk of his life. I get up to leave as well but Jonas stops me, "not you Hailey"

I retake my seat again, waiting for everyone else to leave the room first. Kim from beside me hesitates to get up at first, looking my way.

"Kim" Jonas clears his throat and points his head towards the door, making Kim leave as well.

"Hailey" Jonas sits down on his seat, locking his fingers in front of him, "since you joined us, I wont lie, I was very impressed with you. You're very talented young player and I can tell, you have such a bright future ahead of you and you have been contributing towards the success of the team in a very positive way" Jonas scratches his forehead nervously, "we would like to have you stay with us permanently..." his voice dies down.

But?

Jonas reaches at the side of the table, taking a white envelope and handing it to me. I take it and turn it over, confused.

"... if it were under different circumstances"

I read the letter inside, my breath getting stuck in my lungs as my eyes skim over the words.

We inform you that... Vivienne Miedema... after her injury... due to her health conditions... imporoved... Vivienne Miedema making her comeback... rest of the season.

I drop it to the table, my hands shaking, my mouth dry.

"What does this mean?" I ask even though I already know the answer.

"Im sorry" Jonas says in a pitiful voice. I close my eyes, feeling a sharp pain in my stomach as if someone just brutally punched me.

"But Viv's coming back. You've been sold to Manchester United"