9 : already fallen

Note : do read the author's note at the end of the chp.

— R a h i l ' s  P O V  𖤐

I slightly moved back, my brows furrowing in confusion as I looked at her.

" Pity you? When did I? " I asked, my voice filled with genuine bewilderment.

She let out another sigh, and said, "I overheard you talking to Addin on our wedding night,"
her words sounded heavy with sadness.

My frown deepened, struggling to comprehend what she was saying.

"You said you married me because you didn't want to hurt me, which means you pity me, don't you?" she questioned, her voice tinged with vulnerability.

Memories of my conversation with Addin flooded my mind.

"Addin, I could never hurt her. I married her because I didn't want to hurt her more. I have hurt her enough by rejecting her twice. And who could better know how badly it hurts to be in one-sided love than me?"

As I recalled my words, my eyes widening in shock.

She has got it all wrong.

"No, no, no! That's not what I meant... I..." I trailed off, still trying to get over the shock that she had misunderstood it completely.

I let out a heavy sigh and asked, "What did you hear, to be precise?" She shared the exact words she had heard.

Well, I guessed it right! I couldn't believe that she could overthink so much?

And out of all things, she thought I pitied her? Seriously? Pity was the last thing on my mind. I was taken aback by her assumption.

"You only heard that much?" I asked, seeking confirmation, and she nodded.

I looked into her eyes, shook my head, and mumbled with a sigh, "I wish you could have eavesdropped and heard our whole conversation."

Her expression shifted, and a frown formed on her face.

Now, she appeared more sober and curious, as she listened intently to my words.

"Well, that night, when Addin called me, he was warning me that if I ever hurt you in any way, he wouldn't hesitate to break my neck!" I explained, watching as her eyes widened in surprise.

I knew she didn't expect this because she had believed that Addin didn't really care about her. But in reality, he cared deeply.

The man doesn't shows it, but I knew he secretly cared for her like his own sister though they weren't much close and I knew it because I know my bestfriend very well.

"Why do you look so shocked? " I chuckled.

" Addin doesn't have anything against you! Sure, he may have a grumpy and sour nature, but his heart is very soft, and he genuinely cares for you." I said, smiling softly.